The Mighty Oak V's The Beautiful beech

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Means nothing and I have no evidence but once saw the largest oak tree ever in the middle of a farmers field while power line clearing 10+ years ago.

Honestly it was huge!

It was just something you thought WOW! I'm probably exaggerating but musta been 8 feet+ dbh but the height and spread was awesome.

Anyway nice theread and pics:thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Beech provide a substrate for more fungal species thatn does the Oak.

Whilst i agree at first glance, "thinking scientificaly" the Oak may appear to provide home to more life than the beech, a tree does not just provide life through life.

I also am seeing a link to the actual chemical nature of the two with regards to the breakdown of the two, whilst oak has a high resiliance to decay and a heartwood core, the leaves are also slightly acidifying, perfect for mosses and other bryophytes that further acidify the soil and local area.

beech on the other hand are more friendly in terms of life cycle, and I am certain now, that from seed to senesence and beyond, to the breakdown of its woody structure, the beech is holding its ground with an oak.

give me a few years and i will back this up with data sets to satisfy the most hardcore of my critics!