DIY cambium saver?

RobRainford

Rob,

I found that using my retrieval shackle on teh tail of the stop never worked too well for retrieval.

I then moved onto using a length of cord attached to the pully with a retrieval shackle on it. i found that this used to get 'sucked' into the pully and wrapped round it. I could feel the climbing line rubbing on it. i then covered the retrieval line in some PVC tubing like you can just make out in my picture below. At first i used some plastic airline but this was quite stiff for racking it up (and the clear PVC allows the jazzy colours to shine).

DSC00574.jpg

Jamie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they are not, credit for the splices and the ring in that goes to jamie, he helped me out on that half, made it a lot easier

im thinking about a shorter prussik loop, but would have to be something thats sewn rather than tied to keep bulk down, but this one works for now.

some proper way round images, and one hung up in the workshop. it all works pretty well together, the oscillante pulley is small enough so the rope wont jam in it but is enough to allow a good force to pull it down with.

img0944h.jpg

img0942a.jpg

Rob, is that an endless OP sling on the pulley? I think I would prefer a shorter prusik to pulley attachment although I am not sure if a shorter one would make it harder to retrieve?

Rob, is that an endless OP sling on the pulley? I think I would prefer a shorter prusik to pulley attachment although I am not sure if a shorter one would make it harder to retrieve?

You would have a very low anchor point on small trees with that long prussic.

yeah, its a 70cm one, i would prefer a shorter one as i do lose a fair amount of height from it when its round small branches. I am saving up for another shorter one or anything else thats endless like those, i was thinking a normal dyneema sling? but im concerned about the friction capabilities of it?

Having not seen the cocoon pulley how does the sling attach? I think it threads through and is held in place by friction? whats the maximum diameter it could take?

its simply a pin that has a choice of two directions, beneath the silver cover, there are 4 holes opposite each other, a metal bar goes through two of these either parallel with the pulley or perpendicular to it. You simply thread a loop of rope into the gap in the top and push the pin through, then scew it back on, its very clever, you have to thread the rope through the cover too unless you end up with that not being able to go anywhere!

the OP loop i have there is 10mm, and it was a struggle to squeez the metal bar through, so id say 10mm is maximum. ill post a picture of it when i am next with my kit, as im inside in a warm house and cant find the effort to go outside for it!

• 7 months later...
I am saving up for another shorter one or anything else thats endless like those, i was thinking a normal dyneema sling? but im concerned about the friction capabilities of it?

If you mean something like this , ie. a rock climbing sling, then no. Very low melting point, no good with friction. Don't bother. You can cut a sling in seconds by looping it through itself and creating a sawing motion where it crosses itself. Somewhat irrelevant. But cool.

I am more a fan of the simpler style cambium savers previously mentioned. Very simple, no hassle. Perfect.