CS38 coming up!

MaxJ

Hi folks,

Im new to the world that is ARBTALK! I have my cs38 course coming up in a few weeks and would like to get some practice in beforehand.

a) can anyone help with a list of kit assuming I have nothing at present (climbing gear that is)

b) I have tried on a few harnesses and really like the Skylotec Kolibri harness, can I have peoples views on it?

c) is there anyone in the Shrewsbury, Shropshire area that would be keen to take me under their wing on a climb or 2 as I'm desperate to get my feet off the ground! :thumbup:

Many thanks.

Max

Hi folks,

b) I have tried on a few harnesses and really like the Skylotec Kolibri harness, can I have peoples views on it?

I am using the Kolibri (and Petzl Sequoia). The Kolibri is excellent, but in my view has two weak points:

1. The elastic ribbons that hold the leg loops connected to the main harness come loose very easily while working. I guess you could tie a knot in them once you have established the right length.

2. Itøs near to impossible to mount a Petzl Caritool clip to the harness - that sucks big time!

think im ging down the same lines as you harness wise I tried on a skylotech and felt realy comortable. But its each to there own Everyone reccomeneded me a harness that this bloke had and said it was comfortable and that and tried the blokes on and I hated it. take what you feel comfortable in.

As for climbing kit ill relay the message from here and other tree guys is not to be tigh on monney with your kit as youll only end up buying twice. Got my first kit last month ish and got

37m of line, 10m line, 4 karabiners, petzl tin, flip line,3 prusik loops.

No were near you so cant help with the climb

just done my cs38 wit was realy good but you do need to do as much climbing as possiable and practice ur rescuses. i take it ur doing the 2009 teat and if so need to spend some time on spikes so u can do ur pole rescuse. dowload the cs38 assement schecule of the web and learn the Q & A word for word.

As for kit: Komet Dragonfly [sit style harness] amazing spend all day in a wearing that, remmeber a 30 min climb is a big difference to a days work.

New england hi vi climbing rope 13mm. thinner ropes are fast and not as easy to learn to climb with.

Get 2 pairs of carbs, but to different colours for each pair. Makes it hard to oopen the wrong one.

two prussik loops to suit the lenght of ur arms 10 or 11 mm.

i climb with a new england steel core flip line with a rope grab, helps to postion urself in the tree. but if u get one make sure its another colour from ur climbing rope. makes it easy to tell whats ur rope and whats f/line.

good boots and 'c' class trousers i have stihl hiflex there very good.

climbing helmet with chin strap i ve got a stein kask its amazing buy one!

get sordin ear defenders, not stihl ones they are utter ****.

personal first aid kit and whistle.

have a look at tree climbers companion really good read.

call Sorbus -intl they do realy good deals for students and make sure ur keep all ur paper work for ur LOLAR and get a copy of AFAG 401 of the hse website

hope this helps bud, hope ur 38 goes well.

Thanks for this guys I will be back on after a climb at the weekend (with some exp climbers) and let you know how it goes! Out of interest roughly how long should the prussick loops be, i'm 6ft average build. Have 5 mt of rope that I was going to cut to use as the loops so want to make sure they're cut at the right length!

Cheers

Hi Max

If you allow 60cm for your knot then double the length you want it to be then add it together and cut.

So if you want a 50cm loop, (50+50+60) total 160cm then tie it you will be left with a 50cm loop.

Hope that makes sense.:confused1:

If you need any help with anything else give us a call and I'll see what I can do.:001_smile:

Jonsie thanks again. Had a great weekend climbing a few trees at home and getting used to the whole concept.

Thanks for your help, I will def be pushing FR Jones for equip to people.