Almond willow ?

Hey guys 

ive actually just put a post up hre for something else but I also spotted this tree on the way home 

my book is describing it as an almond willow, I went to the willow section just because of the way it drapes and the long Lancelot length of the leaf, it is described as being on riverbeds soo, maybe. I honestly don't know. The pictures could be better but I couldn't get any closer, i tried to get the shape, leaf shape and bole 

any ideas guys ?

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

1 hour ago, jimug said:

Check Grey Willow, Salix atrocinerea in your book.

Also - you might find the phone app of 

IDENTIFY.PLANTNET.ORG

Pl@ntNet is a tool to help to identify plants with pictures.

useful

a phone app ? Does it work ? Also considering your in the business of suggesting research material lol 

know any good books for identification in britain 

Looks like Goat willow to me, The Collins tree guide covers everything I've ever needed, can pick up a 2nd hand copy for about a fiver online. I've got 2 one for home and other stays in the van.

Cheers,

Jan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jfc said:

Looks like Goat willow to me, The Collins tree guide covers everything I've ever needed, can pick up a 2nd hand copy for about a fiver online. I've got 2 one for home and other stays in the van.

Cheers,

Jan.

Thanls Jan ! 

would you say the below is also goat willow !

if you dont mind taking a look 

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1251.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

• Like 1

The first one looks more like S. cinerea- grey sallow. There are 2 subspecies.

However willows hybridise, therefore what looks like a particular variety or species may in fact be a hybrid with a parent that may look nothing like it. Etc, etc..

The bottom willow looks more like Salix caprea(goat), but it has slight characteristics of S. phylicifolia/tea leaved willow. This I think is only found naturally in Northern England and further north.

Nice mature specimen whatever it is.

Edited by richyrich
Spelling

On 31/05/2024 at 19:23, richyrich said:

The first one looks more like S. cinerea- grey sallow. There are 2 subspecies.

However willows hybridise, therefore what looks like a particular variety or species may in fact be a hybrid with a parent that may look nothing like it. Etc, etc..

The bottom willow looks more like Salix caprea(goat), but it has slight characteristics of S. phylicifolia/tea leaved willow. This I think is only found naturally in Northern England and further north.

Nice mature specimen whatever it is.

Fantastic description ! 

thank you very much

and yes I am in northern England, on the boarder of the peak district in fact  

• Thanks 1