Husqvarna T542ixp.. anyone tried it?

Ledburyjosh

Has anyone got to to have a go on the new husky saw?

I have the t540ixp and am a battery convert.

I had discussed with colleagues it would be much better with a clutch to allow it to slip a bit and keep cutting.

Well the new model has a clutch, so I'm wandering of selling mine and going for the 542ixp.

But would like to hear from anyone who's had a go to get an idea of how much better it is?

Yes I'm running this saw.

Is it better?

In a word yes due to the enlarged sprocket cover (wider to accommodate the clutch) so it kicks out debris more efficiently, plus the oil warning light is a good idea, though I always change batteries before it's ever run out...

However, as far as the clutch it concerned. It adds more weight but does make the saw 'feel' more like a traditional fuel saw. It does add a kick start to the cut due to the momentum created by the clutch weights but this requires a slight hesitation when you hit the throttle to do this for it to get up to speed (remember it's going from a standing start not tick-over like a fuel saw). Every T540i I've used has had a slight inconsistent hesitation on hitting the throttle that I don't get whatsoever but it's more forgivable in this set-up - please discuss!

The clutch assembly uses a rim sprocket not a usual fixed spur sprocket so definitely an advantage there as it carries the drive links more efficiently. I've never seen this in a top handle climbing saw set-up before.

Yes it seems to handle bigger cuts more easily due to the clutch allowing slippage... but quicker more powerful? to be honest I think it's an illusion. The bottom line is it is exactly the same motor as the T540i so no more powerful but with a centrifugal clutch stuck on it. Personally I like the feel of the thing but I think Husky still need to refine this design. A more efficient/sensitive throttle system would be better than messing with clutch assemblies I think.

Hope this helps...

• Like 1

Great thanks.

The enlarged cover sounds good, I cut some off from my 540i to help with blockages, it is an annoyance.

I've never had an issue with my throttle, or atkeast never one that I've picked up on.

Managing larger cuts is a bonus or more for me it would be it tough grain. I find the one place I don't think batteries out do petrol is flush cutting when removing trees. It's slow, drains battery and stops frequently. This is the bit that bugs me and I was curious of if it was a worthy improvement...

Now I wander if you can mod a 540i with the clutch and cover parts instead of buying a 542i..?

Having looked at each parts diagram I suspect that yes it can be modified.

I watched a yountube vid which shows the side cover fitting on to a 540i. 

The diagram suggests if everything from the worm gear outwards is changed a 540i would take a clutch..

I asked that question and never got it answered. I'd go for that option than buy a new saw tbh - you can convert back if you don't like it. The clutch cover replacement is a no-brainer as the plastic crappy thin original is rubbish!

Regarding the throttle 'hesitation' or rather two-stepping.. my two original T540i's were 2021 models and they both did this - maybe I just had two duffs. At any rate the T542i's still don't pick up as quickly as I would like but no big deal. I think longer cuts with these saws might be influenced more by chain oil temp', remember there is no petrol engine heating it up particularly in cold weather?

I was running a 540iXP with a 16" bar/X Cut SP21G Chain but was seriously unimpressed by it's stump taking down ability - it just seemed to struggle. Interestingly the 542iXP is only (now) being sold with a 13" or 15" bar (X Force not X Precision) running a new 0.325 pitch 1.3 gauge chain called X-cut SP33G. You can change sprockets and bung on the SP21G stuff so plenty of options with these saws.

I just think Husky need to refine all of this stuff rather than just constantly chucking it out on the market then tinkering with the spec afterwards..

On 25/03/2024 at 19:21, Ledburyjosh said:

Having looked at each parts diagram I suspect that yes it can be modified.

I watched a yountube vid which shows the side cover fitting on to a 540i. 

The diagram suggests if everything from the worm gear outwards is changed a 540i would take a clutch..

Pretty sure you cannot , the motor shaft is different, the deeper side cover will fit no problem, I do wonder about using the saw at lower rpm with the additional wait of the clutch, the biggest plus is the extra inertia of the clutch at full rpm.

On 26/03/2024 at 20:39, adw said:

Pretty sure you cannot , the motor shaft is different, the deeper side cover will fit no problem, I do wonder about using the saw at lower rpm with the additional wait of the clutch, the biggest plus is the extra inertia of the clutch at full rpm.

OK thanks.

Have you seen both saws side by side to see that?

So looks like a re-fit wont work then...(hardly surprising).

I'll have a play around on the 'E Save' mode to address that lower revs issue you mention.

To cause further confusion, Husqvarna are now calling the SP21G chain 'X Precision' like the bars.