Firewood ID

Scotty2809

Afternoon All

As the title suggests, i'm after some of your knowledge and experience in identifying the wood in the pictures below.

The tree has been washed down the river, that runs within our boundary, and would cause an obstruction to the nearby bends and bridge. 

It has been down a while, and was washed down with the recent storms, from up-river.

I'm pretty sure it's either Willow or Alder. (see first 3 pictures)

Not the best firewood, i know, but the contractor is more than happy to burn any wood he is supplied with (mainly because its free and it keeps him warm). 

Also, i have a drying unit (chiller unit, picture 4) that doubles as a low temperature kiln. Basically, its a large cooling radiator condensor that draws air from the atmosphere with the help of 4 800mm diameter fans. The air pulled through the condensers is approximately 40 degrees and dry. The oak i had in it earlier in the year, took 6 weeks to go from green to 17%. 

Either way, it won't go to waste, and will keep an old man warm for free. 

Picture 4 is an old picture from a few months ago, and the air circulation has been improved with a gap around the wood. I could improve even more, but i would much rather have the air flowing through efficiently for the task required, than to be circulated in such a way to dry the wood. 

pro-AyClgwZ6.thumb.jpeg.f750430b15a9028c44ad8f3389736645.jpegpro-a3vfiz6B.thumb.jpeg.db1e7cf34dc84aa763d985e1879d2841.jpegpro-5fgQRxg1.thumb.jpeg.f40946bd302a05e1ecd76c7a894b128e.jpegIMG_20230929_144439943.thumb.jpg.8bb4d0bbfd858a2cd35f7ebf340e025a.jpg

Hi Paul

It was rather orange when cut. It also has a nice fragrant smell.

The root ball was still attached and the lower 6 foot had decay in the centre. 

I'll just give it a couple of weeks to dry, then split and bag up and leave for a couple of months. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

On 17/11/2023 at 17:58, Paul in the woods said:

If you look carefully at the roots you may see balls of orange nodules which is how the alder fixes nitrogen (along with a bacterium).

I'll take a picture when i nip down to the other unit, but due to the time it's been in the river, i'm not sure there will be much to distinguish these features.

I will have a look and report findings.

Thank you for the reply  

On 17/11/2023 at 19:14, Steven P said:

The Alder I had earlier this year didn't have a straight grain - split a bit and see.

The grain looks fairly straight. I have the X25 in the van so i will give it a whack later and see how it looks and take a couple of pictures.

It's more for wanting to distinguish certain types of tree, for my own knowledge, rather than being for any real need.

Thanks for the reply Steven, it helps me gain a little knowledge, so any pointers or information you can offer is willingly accepted.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.91a64c3af60c66cb8e3e583faa383359.jpeg

My 15 year old woke up at 5am with me, to earn a bit of pocket money. he spent 4 hours splitting 3 boxes of wood. He was using his own X25 axe and actually enjoys the fresh air and work.

He drives the FLTand moves all the wood himself. 

Apologies, just a proud dad moment where he's hopefully been raised to want to work, to feel the benefits of not sitting on a computer or hiding in his bedroom.

This was the wood from the first pictures. I'm definitely thinking it's Alder. 

I need to order a few more net bags so he can bag it up. 

• Like 3