Chipper blade sharpening

Tom Hadlow

Hi I am looking to start sharpening our own blade I have been look and there is not loads of information a bit it but from what I have seen the bernhard chippermaster seen the to be the go to grinder. I would be interested in knowing what they are value at second hand and if there is any for sale. Any information about the would be appreciated as it the seems to be a limited amount online 

The chippermaster is no longer made and like hens teeth second hand.

We use a Bernhard Express Dual cylinder mower bottom blade grinder for flat blade grinding. Even an old used one will set you back a few grand. We bought ours 9 years ago from Bernhard which came from a council.

Edited by GA Groundcare

Some Lumag blades being ground this morning. The bar has magnets to hold the blades in position but the blades wobble when the stone goes by. Hence adding a couple of g clamps. You then rotate the assembly to the desired angle. 

It has water cooling & auto traverse. 

IMG_7943.jpeg

Videos here...

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Hadlow said:

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you I am guessing you can’t do hollow grind blades on this setup 

No, as with hollow grinding the grinding stone is facing the blade. The curve being created by the roundness of the grinding stone. 

You can grind TimberWolf blades and we grind plenty of them. We have ground the hollow out before now and flat ground them. Takes a bit longer on the first grind. Some folk reckon hollow ground performs better than a flat grind, personally struggle to see how it makes any noticeable difference, especially as it's the back edge.

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

No, as with hollow grinding the grinding stone is facing the blade. The curve being created by the roundness of the grinding stone. 

You can grind TimberWolf blades and we grind plenty of them. We have ground the hollow out before now and flat ground them. Takes a bit longer on the first grind. Some folk reckon hollow ground performs better than a flat grind, personally struggle to see how it makes any noticeable difference, especially as it's the back edge.

Interesting point, I heard opinion the flat ground blades are harder on the bearings.

I have used both on my 150, performance wise, there’s nothing in it.

• Like 1