Dogwood satomi leaves turn brown in 4-5 days

boniam

Hi, 

I have a dogwood satomi tree which I planted 7-8 years back. The tree grew slowly but flowers in spring and in last 2-3 years flowers better. I think primary reason to slow growth is it being in full sun. Though i read many place that it can do well in full sun.

In any case, this year I thought it bloomed a bit late in early June and looked really nice through June end. Attached are pictures. Pictures with bloom is from June 11 and with brown leaves is from today. I think leaves turned from green to brown in last week or so. What may be reason and is it dead or is there a chance it will come back next year?

In past years I have seen different degree of leaf scorch but I don't think i have seen all brown this time. Also, this is in Boston area and this year is unusually wet and my grass is green without watering which is usually has lot of brown patches by this time. I did mulch heavily in April End and may have mulched close to trunk but it did well for month after mulching so not sure if that is the cause.

Any idea how to find the cause and any way to recover/survive this tree?

IMG-6045.jpg

IMG-5944.jpg

It's possible it's just dealing with some leaf scorch, especially with that unusual wet weather this year. Mulching close to the trunk might not be the culprit since it held up well initially. Keep an eye on the watering, though, 'cause even with all that rain, it might need a little extra TLC.