Arbpro LD1 set up

Ledburyjosh

I'm considering a harken based set up to add to my rigging gear. I currently have a RC3001 and 16mm line, so large heavy lands are dealt with. So doing some research into options. 

So I'm looking at the LD1, mainly because of the price compared to the larger ones on the market.

I'm thinking a LD1, 12mm sirius, x2 isc mini cast pulleys with some 16mm trex loopies. This would all be sized to match or exceed the 800kg WLL of the bollard.

Has anyone any experience with the LD1?

I was torn between the LD1 and the grcs a few years ago. Ended up going with the grcs and happy I did. It’s solid, easy to setup and spare parts are readily available. 
My only experience of the LD1 was up a tree doing a removal for another company. The clutch thing seemed like a massive arse about, if the ground crew can’t safely operate a grcs then I’d question whether I’d really want to be winching big stuff with them anyway.

• Like 1

I did notice you don't have to have the brake part attached to use the LD1 as it's a separate component. Not entirely sure when you would use it tbh..

The GRCS certainly has a reputation of being good which goes along way. It is out of budget though so it's the LD1 or nothing for me.

Other than the brake did it seem OK to use when you worked with it?

Like I say I was up the tree so my actual using experience is none. Just spent a lot of time looking down at people faffing with it, however as it say that can be removed. 
If it was me, and knowing it’s a one time purchase (or should be), I’d hold out and get the one you want rather than the one you can stretch to atm. The grcs can lift slightly more with a 44:1 winch rather than a 40:1. Using a big right angle drill like the makita you can do a lot with it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Grcs occasionally turn up second hand if you're prepared to wait.

I'm intrigued what you actually do with the winch and can you work around not having one for example with 5:1 pulley set?

Speed and efficiency is the main benefit compared to a 5:1. Its quicker to use, its set up generally from the start of the job so you actually use it, rather than make do.

It also has no limit on its length of lift unlike adding a 5:1 to hoist a branch up where you may need to reset.

You can do most jobs with out one sure, but it adds a load more things you can do as you can lift and lower branches and wood with a large amount of control.

One great use is with zip lines, as you can lift the piece to the top, Tension the zip line then lower it down the zip line.

You can also use them to fell trees if you have a suitable anchor tree and use a redirect pulley, which depending on the model means you also have a 1200kg winch to asses fells with you.

All round pretty useful bit of kit

11 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Fair enough, sounds like you have used one. Always a tough one with expensive kit, but the price will fade in importance over the years.

Yes I've used one enough to see the benefits but also not used one in every situation possible.

I wish I invested 10 years ago. But with that in mind, now is the time to benefit for the next 10 years.

On 23/02/2023 at 09:22, Ledburyjosh said:

Yes I've used one enough to see the benefits but also not used one in every situation possible.

I wish I invested 10 years ago. But with that in mind, now is the time to benefit for the next 10 years.

Don't know if that FB post is any good this time but they do come up. You can refurbish the winch anyway, new pawls and springs inside and good to go.