Bandsaw automation

Josh Purton

Wondering if many others have adapted there otherwise very manual mills to be more automated… I’ve adapted the cut width significantly but my mill is basically a woodland mills

Totally happy with manually pushing the mill through the log means can return at a good speed and ease back for large knots etc, but what I’d like to add is electric raise and lower of the sawhead with some kind of setworks for board thickness etc.

Any photos of what you’ve done / where to source these parts or better still if anyone knows someone that will do this willing to travel to the Berkshire area…

Much Appreciated

Josh

33 minutes ago, Josh Purton said:

Wondering if many others have adapted there otherwise very manual mills to be more automated… I’ve adapted the cut width significantly but my mill is basically a woodland mills

Totally happy with manually pushing the mill through the log means can return at a good speed and ease back for large knots etc, but what I’d like to add is electric raise and lower of the sawhead with some kind of setworks for board thickness etc.

Any photos of what you’ve done / where to source these parts or better still if anyone knows someone that will do this willing to travel to the Berkshire area…

Much Appreciated

Josh

Woodlands have an electric raise and lower retro fit kit for sale but not sure if it’s available over here yet. There’s a guy on you tube who’s adapted an electric Jack and some  winches to good effect. I’ll see if I can find the link 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

It would be easier to buy an automated mill as it will pay off in the time it takes to perfect the modification.

however you will need a motor and gearbox that communicate with a potentiometer and a setworks computer like Mudata - not the cheapest of components