Mechanical adjuster/positioner for wire-core lanyards

morten

I have used a wire-core lanyard with a Skylotec ErgoGrip adjuster for a year, now and I am generally quite happy with it, but I would like to know your experiences with using mechanical adjusters on wire-core lanyards.

I know that the standard-setup is using a prussic/distel, but pine-sap is a problem with that setup.

Possibly, I should give up the mental comfort of having a wire-core in my lanyards, thus giving me a lot more options on positioning devices/rope grabs. Or should I just go back to using a Prussic/Distel?

Several rope-graps exist that will work with wire-core up to 13mm diameter, but only a few allow lengthening under tension, as well as single handed shortening.

I only know two devices that satisfies the above criteria: The Skylotec ErgoGrip, and the ART Positioner (although I have seen different statements wrt the ART Positioner whether i can be used on wire-core lanyards).

The Skylotec ErgoGrip, unfortunately, is riveted together, and must therefore be bought as part of a lanyard, or mounhed before the lanyard is end-crimped.

I have also tried the Petzl Micro-grab, which works OK with a flexible 13mm wire-core lanyard, but obviously does not allow lengthening under tension.

Another issue that must be taken into consideration when using most mechanical devices on a wire-core lanyard is to ensure that the device often needs to be mounted to the carabiner using a webbing-sling, to avoid an "all-steel" lanyard that does not allow it to be cut with a knife in rescue situations.

For reference, I have included a few pictures of the devices below:

The Skylotec ErgoGrip:

elkriverpg9-ErgoGrip.jpg

L-0249-2__F_01_72.jpg

The ART Positioner

CA001.jpg

Edited by morten

I had a go with the positioner, it is not very smooth when releasing under load. I didn't rate it TBH.

I use an isc micro grab and TBH I think its fine. I dont find having to take my weight off it to release is that much of a problem. Also with practise, I have found that a jerk of the hips is enough to release it,(you dont need two hands) once moving I "brake" the line entering the device with two fingers whilst operating the cam with the other two, this works fine for me and gives much more controll than I got with the positioner.:001_smile:

i use a distel with 8 ml liros friction cord and a petzl oscilante micro pulley on my wire core and it runs beautifully and locks up tight. on my soft lanyard i have a trango cinch belay device and have never used anything better personally. jams everytime and releases smoothly when loaded with my not insignificant bear like weight. to be honest i rarely use the wirecore and mainly just make do with the lanyard even on big vertical climbs.

I used to use a 13mm wire core flipline with isc micro grab. Totally secure when locked off but with slackening of there was plenty of rrom for improvement. Now i use a normal 13mm rope with art positioner. IMO it is unbeateable, pulling slack through couldnt be easier, slackening of is easy and manouvering around a tree with a normal rope compared to a wire core flipline is the difference between riding a push bike with 2 wheels or triangle blocks of wood. I wont be changing my setup any time soon. :biggrin: