ABC level 2 unit 5

MCampbell

Currently studying ABC level 2 with HCC and have come to halt with unit 5. The questions/requirements in learning outcome 1 don't really make much sense to me and the literature provided is all over the place. Even with books and internet searches I'm struggling to find enough relevant info the answer the questions. Anyone else currently doing the same course finding the same?

easier if I just take a photo... as with a good few of the questions on this course I find it difficult figuring out what i'm being asked to do. Question 1 for example - inspect a tree and answer bullet points with my findings, or as the question states, define and explain the bullet points?

unit 5.jpg

I did L2 and agree a lot of the HCC notes were figuring out what the question was.

I would think it through as.

a) Do a tree risk assessment.

b) Question 1.1 first part - If you were making your own tree risk assessment form what information would you gather on it and why

c) Qeustion 1.1 second part - referencing the tree you have just gone out and risk assessed, give examples of why the following headings in our question are useful.

d) Question 1.1 third part - take some photos of the tree you risk assessed.

e) Question 1.2 first part - using BS3998 in your answer explain five reasons why there is a risk assessment process. Why bother to check the same variables on each tree. Instead we could just go up to each tree and make a decision if any work needs doing on it. What could go wrong with that latter approach if you were distracted or having a bad day?  What if someone forgot something?

f) Question 1.2 part i) would hint that it looks like its kind of asking you whether its better to find the cause and implication of any defects or if its better to just cut every tree with a defect down and charge the owner accordingly.

g) Question 1.2 part ii) what common defects or problems should every tree surveyor know about before they are allowed out.

h) Question 1.3 first item. Record your risk assessment on the form which is in the course notes. They give three outcomes in their hazard rating - immediate action needed - reinspect (when?) - dead tree.

i) Question 1.3 part i) on the tree you looked out what defects did you find and do they matter. Does the defect matter in that species. Is there a target. How likely are the defects to make the tree fail or hit a target or cause other consequence.

j) Question 1.3 part ii) could you use any of the sections in BS3998 to treat the tree and prevent harm. Example could you lift the crown per Section 7.6 of the BS to reduce the risk of busses striking the branch etc. If you don't have a copy of the BS it can be difficult to reference the sections. Tree life ac uk do a mini guide which is useful. I can't remember where the attached image folder came from but it contains some section references.

BS3998 tb1.PNG

• Like 1