Truffle inoculation.

Graham

Many companies provide trees infected with a variety of truffle species. Unfortunately, soil conditions and the un-predictable UK climate, can restrict the growth of this fungus. Obtaining authenticated trees is therefore of paramount importance.

The burgundy truffle is the fungus found most commonly in the UK, bearing fruit during the weeks of September. Many woods in the South Downs are famous for the copious amounts of this fungus they produce. A careful browse online should point any interested parties in the right direction.

Alternatively, any one with an enthusiasm to grow their own Truffles could always visit Totally Truffles@

Totally Truffles - Totally Truffles

:001_smile:

Thank you!:thumbup1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!

Tony,

Thank you for what ? For trying to sell you "authenticated" trees inoculated with a non-existing truffle species, because the anonymous reseller twice calls Tuber aestivum (= T. uncinatum) Tuber aesatvium on his website, without a "money return" guarantee if not fruiting within your life time ?

And why doesn't the reseller inform you which nurseries his commercial products originate from : the U.K., the southern parts of France, or from Italy, a country selling Boletus edulis coming from Sweden as original Italian "funghi porcini" ? The reason might be, that from the soutern European countries lots of "certified" inoculated trees are exported, that are known to be inproductive on the short run or not productive at all, or if (re)productive, start fruiting during the life time of your (future) children or children's children.

Is training and renting or selling truffle dogs or pigs also part of his commercial business, or are you going to "sniff" and dig out the truffles yourself ?

I thought you knew better by now after the discussion on mycorrhizae products and biochar on this forum.

Just ask yourself, why would owners of truffle tree nurseries and "orchards" with Quercus robur, Q. ilex and hazel sell you inoculated trees, if they knew beforehand, that you being succesfull in producing truffles would bring down the market value to one half or less of the present price of truffles ?

Edited by Fungus

Tony,

Thank you for what ? For trying to sell you "authenticated" trees inoculated with a non-existing truffle species, because the anonymous reseller twice calls Tuber aestivum (= T. uncinatum) Tuber aesatvium on his website, without a "money return" guarantee if not fruiting within your life time ?

And why doesn't the reseller inform you which nurseries his commercial products originate from : the U.K., the southern parts of France, or from Italy, a country selling Boletus edulis coming from Sweden as original Italian "funghi porcini" ? The reason might be, that from the soutern European countries lots of "certified" inoculated trees are exported, that are known to be inproductive on the short run or not productive at all, or if (re)productive, start fruiting during the life time of your (future) children or children's children.

Is training and renting or selling truffle dogs or pigs also part of his commercial business, or are you going to "sniff" and dig out the truffles yourself ?

I thought you knew better by now after the discussion on mycorrhizae products and biochar on this forum.

Just ask yourself, why would owners of truffle tree nurseries and "orchards" with Quercus robur, Q. ilex and hazel sell you inoculated trees, if they knew beforehand, that you being succesfull in producing truffles would bring down the market value to one half or less of the present price of truffles ?

:BoomSmilie_anim: BOOM! goes the fungus bombshell :001_rolleyes:

The truffle infused trees we produce in the UK, are not sourced from Nurseries. We produce these trees ourselves using certified seed stocks, so that germ lines can be traced back to the parental trees. The Tuber is obtained from reputable suppliers that are accredited by the types of regulation adhered to in the last post. The truffles used to inoculate trees and the infected plants, are authenticated using a molecular diagnostic procedure called 'sequencing' a common method that is powerful enough to differentiate between any true truffle species. Many of our customers will verify this. We have expert molecular biologists with over 25 years experience in the Agricultural Biotechnology industry who are more than capable of performing these tests on our behalf.

Our company is not entertaining the idea of training dogs or pigs, and has never attracted us commercially. A large problem truffle grower’s face anywhere is obtaining trees from un-reputable dealers (as you clearly point out); these trees are 'commonly’ devoid of any truffle fungus. Assumptions about growth requirements are more usually misguided. We are dedicated to research in this area and have partnerships with farmers to understand and better define these requirements.

You are of course correct the Holm Oak and Hazel are often chosen as the host tree by most truffle producers, as these are fast growing and host many truffle species. Our portfolio of infected trees is larger than most, it even includes the English Oak (Totally Truffles - Totally Truffles). Truffle production is on the decline across Europe as you are probably aware as you sound like an authority on this subject, despite a massive drive to plant infected trees in France there is obviously still a niche in this market.

Truffle orchards were never intended to be woodlands, so I do not understand the last point you make? Commercial production of these fungi in well managed orchards, will obviously ensure the stocks of naturally occurring truffles.

I never did learn latin, you will have to forgive my ignorance.

1. We produce these trees ourselves using certified seed stocks. The Tuber is obtained from reputable suppliers that are accredited by the types of regulation adhered to in the last post. A large problem truffle grower’s face anywhere is obtaining trees from un-reputable dealers (as you clearly point out); these trees are 'commonly’ devoid of any truffle fungus.

2. Commercial production of these fungi in well managed orchards, will obviously ensure the stocks of naturally occurring truffles.

1. How about a money return guarantee if a customer has no harvest within ten to twenty years ?

2. Obviously ? Could you explain how commercial production in well managed orchards ensures the stocks of naturally occuring truffles in forests and woodlands. By letting wild boars, red deer or roe into the orchards or do you depend on truffle flies to locate the truffles and disperse the spores ?

Edited by Fungus

Posted by Fungus...

1. How about a money return guarantee if a customer has no harvest within ten to twenty years ?

2. Obviously ? Could you explain how commercial production in well managed orchards ensures the stocks of naturally occuring truffles in forests and woodlands. By letting wild boars, red deer or roe into the orchards or do you depend on truffle flies to locate the truffles and disperse the spores ?

my reply...

1. The trees supplied are guaranteed to be infected with the specified truffle fungus, as already mentioned. This is common practice even in Countries that regulate the industry. Does a farmer get any guarantees that he will have a successful harvest from the companies that supply the seeds and agrochemicals? Truffle farming is a risky business that obviously needs careful management, as well as quality trees.

2. As the sources of commercially produced truffles are not meeting the demand for this type of fungus, then truffle lovers are undoubtedly going to depend on what can be harvested from the natural environment. I am not sure how sustainable this is, although many woodlands in the UK seem to have an abundance of the Black Summer Truffle this year.

1. Truffle farming is a risky business that obviously needs careful management, as well as quality trees.

2. As the sources of commercially produced truffles are not meeting the demand for this type of fungus, then truffle lovers are undoubtedly going to depend on what can be harvested from the natural environment. I am not sure how sustainable this is, although many woodlands in the UK seem to have an abundance of the Black Summer Truffle this year.

1. So your advice is : don't invest in it on a larger scale and do not expect (short term) harvesting and/or profit ?

2. You obviously have no knowledge of the dynamics and life cycles of tree species specific ecosystems, their soil food webs and their ectomycorrhizal tree species specific truffle species and of how truffles disperse their spores.

Original post by Fungus

1. So your advice is : don't invest in it on a larger scale and do not expect (short term) harvesting and/or profit ?

2. You obviously have no knowledge of the dynamics and life cycles of tree species specific ecosystems, their soil food webs and their ectomycorrhizal tree species specific truffle species and of how truffles disperse their spores.

1. I absolutely appreciate that truffle trees are a long term investment and would not expect a short term profit from this type of venture; I do not think anyone willing to invest in this type of farming practice is as naive as you are trying to imply.

2. I do understand how truffle spores are dispersed throughout a woodland and how the natural ecosystem works. Woodlands are like other natural habitats are affected by many environmental pressures which alter the abundance and dynamics of life. These ecological effects are difficult to manage, but I do recognise the success that many truffle farmers have had to-date, growing truffles commercially in their orchards. In parts of Europe where the conditions are optimal, this is a thriving industry.

You are trying to suggest that every woodland has the capacity to produce truffles. This is not the case. Truffles tend to grow in micro environments within a woodland, and are not just dispersed erratically by animal behaviour. These truffle niches hold the key to a truffle growers success.

1. I do understand how ... the natural ecosystem works. These ecological effects are difficult to manage, but I do recognise the success that many truffle farmers have had to-date, growing truffles commercially in their orchards. In parts of Europe where the conditions are optimal, this is a thriving industry.

2. You are trying to suggest that every woodland has the capacity to produce truffles. This is not the case. Truffles tend to grow in micro environments within a woodland, and are not just dispersed erratically by animal behaviour.

1. You're trying to convince your future customers (and me), that the U.K. is the perfect place for truffle farming and a good investment for fortune seekers by telling them that it's a thriving industry in parts of Europe where the conditions are optimal ?

I would rather go to a betting shop and put my money on a horse instead :001_rolleyes: .

2. That's where you (again) show your lack of knowledge on the subject. Ectomycorrhizal ascomycete (and basidiomycete) truffles are part of all forest and woodland (tree species specific) ecosystems. Your problem is, that most species are not suited for consumption (and dispersion) by the human species :001_tongue: .

By the way, with what other than commercial intentions did you "invade" and reactivate this thread, that has been "sleeping" since 07-02-2010, or were you just trying to save the advertising charges for a proper advert on this website ?