Tree identification & surface roots

ttotheroy

Question

Hi Chaps,

I've just moved into a new house, which has a small garden and a tree that seems to be a little oversized for its environment. Initially it would be good to identify what kind of tree it is (i've attached some photos). The tree has exposed roots at the surface of the lawn, which extend way further than the canopy. I've had to cut the roots where they have gone beneath a decking, but i had also initially planned to cut the surface root (hence the digging around the root) but after a bit of thought i wondered whether this was a good idea (probably not). So, i'm looking for advice on the approach to take. To be honest i'm still hoping to cut the root out, and see what happens, as it takes up a lot of area in a very small lawn.

Thanks

284112704_766118954387376_8839437511137086667_n.jpg

284537398_432924634866866_9044783079039980409_n.jpg

284722921_704887237420906_6647073398911084914_n.jpg

Edited by ttotheroy
typo

2 answers to this question

It’s a willow, probably a twisted willow.

You can cut it back very hard and it should come back, I have one that I muller every year, sometimes twice.

You can cut the root out as well.

If in the long term you don’t think you’ll keep the tree, might as well take it out completely.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

If you decide to keep it and cut it back, pollard it just above head height. It'll burst back into life but take up much less space while still providing a bit of a privacy screen.  

If you cut it off at the ground it'll regrow in multiple stems taking up even more space than it does now.

But as Mick says, you'll cutting it back to the poll every year, at least, and producing a mountain of withies.

A pollarded willow is good habitat though, with all the nooks and crannies.

Edited by Gimlet