Kwik Chip (ish)

Able Fella

Ive got a 6" Kwik Chip hydralic wood chipper, recently the stress control has been kicking in far too soon, I used to be able to feed a fair wack thru but today was a nightmare, took ages to get thru what was realtively small stuff, most of the branches that went thru today were on the whole only around 1-2" and all softwood, ive changed fuel filter, checked revs but then got stuck, if anyone has had a similar problem would you be good enough to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help. :confused1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say you checked the revs are you sure it is hitting max rpm?

Depending on how the pickup works ie does it have a sensor on the flywheel or does it run of the engine alternator then it could be a slipping alternator belt.

Always worth checking all wiring to do with sensors and control box to check for rubbing, dirty contacts etc.

Dont know how the system works on this particular machine but hope its of some help.

Does the stress control come on when it is running but you arent putting anything through it?

Depending on how the pickup works ie does it have a sensor on the flywheel or does it run of the engine alternator then it could be a slipping alternator belt.

Always worth checking all wiring to do with sensors and control box to check for rubbing, dirty contacts etc.

Dont know how the system works on this particular machine but hope its of some help.

Does the stress control come on when it is running but you arent putting anything through it?

I assume the revs are hitting max, on these machines the rollers dont engage until it does, the rollers are running fine but as soon as you feed anything bigger than 1-2" the stress control kicks in which clearly it shouldnt.

Thanks for your help.

I was just thinking that if the revs were just going above the limit to start the rollers then even a small piece of brash would lower them enough to quickly stop the rollers.

This happened on our BC625I when the throttle cable slipped a bit so it wasnt getting full throttle.

I know it sounds daft but, are your blades razor sharp and what nick is the anvil in? Is the engine revs dropping fast? - is so, then it could be a fuel issue namely, not enough fuel getting thro at peak demand. When running, are the flywheel bearings getting hot, are they getting tight? Is the engine getting tight/seized?

I was just thinking that if the revs were just going above the limit to start the rollers then even a small piece of brash would lower them enough to quickly stop the rollers.

This happened on our BC625I when the throttle cable slipped a bit so it wasnt getting full throttle.

Sounds a fair shout, other than adjusting the throttle cable is there any other way of tweeking the revs, how do I know when the old boy is running at full chat?

does your have a digital read out?

our 222 did

and we could adjust it

but tbh we tended to turn it off anyhow:blushing:

Yep mine does have a digital read out but I dont have the 1st idea how to turn it off, thanks for reply. :thumbup1:

How do I know if the machine is running full chat? my machine has a sensor on the fly wheel, ive had a quick look at wiring but nothing obvious, as for the stress control, runs fine until you show it a bit of wood! thanks for your help.