Husqvarna engine

adw

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes that was a rotating conical valve in the head. The ultimate WW2 aero engines were sleeve valved H layout but again the cost of the performance was loss of lubrication oil.

Yeah, I'm no expert on aero but I know that many of the radial engines were sleeve valve running off a cam at bottom of the sleeve.

To me tech has finally caught up with the concepts of 100 + years ago and is enabling some of these excellent ideas to actually work, I think that the main advantage is due to comp ratios of 16 :1 being possible without detonation thus more completely using the calories available and therefore much more power and massively reducing pollution.... I think we're way past the time that poppet valves should have been dropped [ no pun intended ]  😁

Apart from anything else, and although it's much improved since I was young, more complete usage of the available calorific value would mean much smaller engines to do the same job.

This has fascinated me since I read about the Aspen engines  in Motor cycle mechanics in the early 70's, cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

This has fascinated me since I read about the Aspen engines  in Motor cycle mechanics in the early 70's, cheers.

I probably read about it in a motor cycle magazine too but it would have been in the late 60s.

The thing about a traditional poppet valve 4 stroke engine is that it is simple to build and the sealing is also good around the piston and valve. The Wankel, sleeve valve and uniflow opposed piston engines all have certain advantages but have problems keeping the hot gas or lubricating oil in.

The Stirling engine gets around some of these problems by having the whole engine sealed but at the cost of limiting the pressure from which the gas expands from.

I think all those WW2 radial engines had total loss lubrication, as does a two stroke and wouldn't reach pollution standards now.

Yes there are designs of these engines using modern techniques which address these sealing problems but they come at a time when internal combustion engines are going out of favour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I probably read about it in a motor cycle magazine too but it would have been in the late 60s.

The thing about a traditional poppet valve 4 stroke engine is that it is simple to build and the sealing is also good around the piston and valve. The Wankel, sleeve valve and uniflow opposed piston engines all have certain advantages but have problems keeping the hot gas or lubricating oil in.

The Stirling engine gets around some of these problems by having the whole engine sealed but at the cost of limiting the pressure from which the gas expands from.

I think all those WW2 radial engines had total loss lubrication, as does a two stroke and wouldn't reach pollution standards now.

Yes there are designs of these engines using modern techniques which address these sealing problems but they come at a time when internal combustion engines are going out of favour.

Aye, for sure to all of that.. although it would seem that these RCV engines have solved the sealing issues due to modern materials science and precision.. perhaps if these issues had been addressed sooner we might not be in IC engine place that we are today.

Also I recently watched something on the storage of energy in very large flywheels powered using Stirling engines.

Personally.  the latest  drive for all of everything to be electric I've nothing against but I CAN see it for what it is and  that EV's aren't greener at all when you take into account manufacturing and end of life... there just  polluting in a different way, and for the foreseeable future I don't expect much other than cars / bikes etc to be EV... Quarrying, shipping, flight diggers and everything else will still be diesel... but if they were twice as efficient that would help.

However if we had access to Tesla's secrets for instance which I firmly believe are being concealed then that would be the real game changer that the current cabal are resisting, I read that OPEC were meeting today to decide what Price per barrel to inflict on us next.  👍

• Like 2