Second hand winches

chris@beavertrust.org

I am thinking of buying a single drum winch for farm woodland activity. I think I am after a single drum PTO driven winch in the 5 ton range with 50-100m of cable. Our problem here is that we have woodland that is very hard to get a vehicle into, either due to slope, or bogginess, but we can get a tractor to 50m or so range. The biggest trees, or bits of trees would be in the 5 cubic metre range. Are there any makes that people could recommend, or better still have a second hand one for sale?  I have been using one belonging to a friend but I cant borrow it because it is 75 miles away (too far to go to pick it up, plus it is his pride and joy).  I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

We have a Igland 4201on the back of a 40hp kubota that works very well for us, its pulled a lot of stuff out for us over the 7 yrs we have had it, it has 95mtrs of 10mm cable on it but that dont all get used very often, Its something that has only been used once in the last 18 mths but if i sell it you can bet a lump of money that we will get a job the wk after where we would need it for a wk or 2, we all so had it on the back of a tracked tractor we hired in for a wk or 2 and that worked well,

IMG_0216.JPG

new phon photos (1) (87).jpg

• Like 9

Krpan or uniforest do a great winch. You can often pick up a used fransgard on ebay. I've used the v6500 a lot and it really pulls again mine doesn't come out often but when it does, it's worth it's weight in gold.  Worth noting that the rated pull is at full cable extension unless you get a constant force winch. So if you get a 5t winch it could be as low as 2.5t pull on a short pull. Remember to check for clutch wear on a used winch what ever brand 

• Like 1