HONDA 24hp V-TWIN problem

TimberCutterDartmoor

Compression test flawless - compression built up quickly (warm) and both exactly the same pressure. Engine has 2 coils; both appear ok, both ht leads register normally with spark tester during all running conditions.

The main fuel hose to the carb was loose - circlip ineffective - needed refitting but can't imagine it was related to symptoms described.

Have stripped and checked carb - all seems well.

Correct new plugs now fitted.

Not yet done valve clearances... thought compression test would reveal???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldnt be the carb/choke/fuel as the single carb feeds both cylinders. If you had a leak on the inlet side of things then I'd have thought that you would have a weak mixture rather than the wet plug that you've got

If the compression is the same on both cylinders then the piston/rings/head gasket should be OK. Good compression should also indicate that the valve clearances are not too small otherwise the valves would be being held open and compression would be down. The clearances would have to be very large indeed to stop one cylinder from working and I think you would hear a serious ammount of tapping if one or more clearances were too big.

That leaves ignition. If youve got new plugs then its fair to rule them out. You could try swapping the coils and see if the fault moved to the other cylinder.

I'm not sure how the ignition is fired on the Honda Vtwins but if there is a pickup/sensor to trigger the spark for each cylinder then that could have moved for the problem cylinder?

Hope that helps

If you had a leak on the inlet side of things then I'd have thought that you would have a weak mixture rather than the wet plug that you've got

My kohler was the same though. I think the weak mixture doesnt burn properly, if at all. Therefore the plug stays wet.

Have you checked for air leaks around the manifold? Could be a slight crack in it somewhere just affecting the one cylinder.

Could possibly be the spark control box not sending a spark to one cylinder or an intermittent one.

I have run a Jo beau with the Honda 24hp engine since 2005, during its first 18 months we had nothing but trouble with the problems you describe. There should be a filter on a breather on the carb, mine was missing. This is not obvious as the breather looks exactly the same as the many blanked off casting holes on the carb, but it does draw **** in especially if you chip dead wood. Remove carb from the engine and pour petrol through it , where it drips out there is your breather hole. It is difficult to clean that carb fully by stripping I would recommend putting it through a sonic cleaner, large workshops have these. Once you have a clean carb get a filter on the breather, end of problem. On the rare occasion it has played up since tip some redex in the tank, seems to be a miracle cure. I hope this has been some help . For further advice 07941149873

I have run a Jo beau with the Honda 24hp engine since 2005, during its first 18 months we had nothing but trouble with the problems you describe. There should be a filter on a breather on the carb, mine was missing. This is not obvious as the breather looks exactly the same as the many blanked off casting holes on the carb, but it does draw **** in especially if you chip dead wood. Remove carb from the engine and pour petrol through it , where it drips out there is your breather hole. It is difficult to clean that carb fully by stripping I would recommend putting it through a sonic cleaner, large workshops have these. Once you have a clean carb get a filter on the breather, end of problem. On the rare occasion it has played up since tip some redex in the tank, seems to be a miracle cure. I hope this has been some help . For further advice 07941149873

Nice one thanks for this. We drained the carb with the little drain screw and fuel (and maybe water) came out of the black rubber pipe which hangs down towards the front - is this the breather? Certianly no filter on it if so... Funnily enough - was chipping a load of dead elm immediately before it happened. Might give you a call - when's convenient? Cheers.

Only breather I could find was the big fat crankcase breather; blew lots of holes with comp. air. Photos show carb from various angles, showing the wiring into the float chamber / bowl (what the heck is that for?!). I bet that control box with heat sink is asking for trouble too... Thanks for the help tho; running sweet atm, see how she goes. May well have been water in fuel - added a kersone remover...

08022010337.jpg.e22cb21ddd802d0e3cb9a5d3adb9e39f.jpg

08022010336.jpg.fe42f621ea22cf5b522be5ec6eb2c464.jpg

08022010335.jpg.d640ad009961d41f2e199730441d2969.jpg

08022010333.jpg.3393e0424d56f6922b365ae310ece6d2.jpg

08022010332.jpg.22dcfcc852839674a681e35b10d6b114.jpg

Now I see the hole! Thanks to that video; I did probe it a little - didn't seem to go anywhere. Oh well, that means I'll have to strip the carb all over again. Check the coil earths too it would seem. Learning now that Hondas are great upto 13hp; after that? Crap apparently; 20-30hp range much better Kawasaki or Kohler... Hmmm.:001_rolleyes: Lovin' this conversation with myself!

59765573e7408_breatherholepic.jpg.980c1652cfc4bd2d7430b3c061b2b68f.jpg