Etiquette / normal practice for avoiding and dealing with damage to other trees?

MisterBoy

Question

We have some work on large trees scheduled and it's a fairly tight working environment in our garden, specifically there are quite a few young fruit trees and hedging that will just look like sticks in winter and it's understandable they could be missed and even just trodden on in some cases.

I'm not out to try and be a pain if they accidentally trampling a tiny £2 bareroot tree but I've sunk quite a lot of time and sweat and cash into planting and one dropped branch could take out a lot of work. It's a reputable, established company so I just wondered is there a standard way to sort this before work begins, rather than after the fact? Marking trees, etc? What happens if, say, a branch that is being dropped does happen to take out a fruit tree or whatever?

Thanks for your advice.

It should of been made clear on the visit/ quoting stage what was expected from both yourself and the contractor. A professional contractor would of pointed out any possible damage to you and informed you of what measures they intended to take to minimise damage. If he was informed at that stage that it was possible some of the whips could be taken out for the length of the job then maybe it could make the job easier by increasing the drop zone area and therefore possibly a cheaper quote🤔. When the tree is lowered the price is lifted🤔. Anything that can be moved out of potential harms way should be moved. I’ve lost count of the amount of flower pots, planters, trampolines I’ve moved even though the client said they would move them🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dan blocker said:

It should of been made clear on the visit/ quoting stage what was expected from both yourself and the contractor. A professional contractor would of pointed out any possible damage to you and informed you of what measures they intended to take to minimise damage. If he was informed at that stage that it was possible some of the whips could be taken out for the length of the job then maybe it could make the job easier by increasing the drop zone area and therefore possibly a cheaper quote🤔. When the tree is lowered the price is lifted🤔. Anything that can be moved out of potential harms way should be moved. I’ve lost count of the amount of flower pots, planters, trampolines I’ve moved even though the client said they would move them🙄

lost count of the number of new plants that have appeared under a tree marked for coming down between pricing and working

On 14/11/2021 at 07:42, Treeation said:

My quote would specify "Use lowering ropes to dismantle tree to prevent damage to newly planted trees in drop zone" - 

I'm pretty certain due to the general congestion of the area it's all being done that way. It's really making sure they can see where to lower stuff, drive the big chipper :)

On 14/11/2021 at 07:42, Treeation said:

If you are using a decent firm, there wont be an issue, but it is not uncommon for the odd bit of damage to occur when even when great care is taken and there is always a touch of luck involved  in treework.....but a good firm will make the customer aware if this happens and repair/ replace.....

Absolutely. I don't expect them to magically float in like chainsaw fairies leaving no leaf or blade of grass disturbed :)