Im taking the plunge

samtheman365

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my idea but

I would save those nice tractors for proper work. Buy something 35-80hp for £2000 running a 1000 pto at 540. A cheap bobcat to load an old lorry body to feed the palax. Retailing wood the margin is small to wholesale must be tiny especially if you buy the wood in.

I know what you mean about the wholesale part. But all the machinery has been payed for through wood. The big ford gets used for contracting as well.We had a bobcat for a while but found it to unstable and it didnt have the reach to get cord off the top of the pile. Our old Palax was 10 years old and had done a lot of work and we strugled with the 12" throat. When we traded it in we got the same as what we payed for it (we ran it for two years).:thumbup: We have a log deck that we made out of old RSJs. The good part of doing to trade is guarenteed work, no wingeing punters ,no backing up tight drives, no handballing,no grany logs, no evening deliverys, no people saying can you just stack them here!!,And No people saying the barks peeling off and its left crums on me drive. I still do a lot of straight to customer although i think ive just talked my self out of it now:lol: On the down side im flat out all the time hense all the machinery.

I know what you mean about the wholesale part. But all the machinery has been payed for through wood. The big ford gets used for contracting as well.We had a bobcat for a while but found it to unstable and it didnt have the reach to get cord off the top of the pile. Our old Palax was 10 years old and had done a lot of work and we strugled with the 12" throat. When we traded it in we got the same as what we payed for it (we ran it for two years).:thumbup: We have a log deck that we made out of old RSJs. The good part of doing to trade is guarenteed work, no wingeing punters ,no backing up tight drives, no handballing,no grany logs, no evening deliverys, no people saying can you just stack them here!!,And No people saying the barks peeling off and its left crums on me drive. I still do a lot of straight to customer although i think ive just talked my self out of it now:lol: On the down side im flat out all the time hense all the machinery.

good for you mate - keep on logging:thumbup:

Bobcats arnt the most stable things with a loaded bucket in the air ( I have a pic somewhere of ares on its back, dont ask how) I have a hakki with a 12" capacity and am thinking the same especially with the cord getting bigger. I was going to trade up but you talked me out of retail especially the granny logs bit:lol: