Hamadryads fungus diary

As part of my ongoing project of digitaly filing all my thousands of images from the last ten years I have finaly gotten a folder together for these trametes Sp which might be of interst to all as they are probably indistinguishable to most in thier natural environments.

why even I failed to spot the differences in one of these, as can be seen by an earlier post in here! I apologise for this sincerely as i do go to great lengths to get it right, but i did say "a rather lumpless version of the lumpy bracket!"

So here they are, three similar but different, Trametes. I hope this inspires you to all look at your "lumpy brackets" a little closer, caught me out!

T. hirsutum Note the slightly pubescent (hairy) appearance

597655d97c448_newtreestoday006.jpg.c57e3e554d2869749bf662024b5ada83.jpg

T. gibbosa the lumpy bracket

P1130511.jpg.49f49cc08715c3a9ac3a2e55b7c90570.jpg

T. suaveolens note unlike T gibbosa this has a more concace and less lumpy appreance, a rare Trametes var.

P1010460.jpg.4c80216892f11db7aefb9f1c3afee8c0.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adding another post toady just because its been so dry of late and so little of interest from the mycelial world! so more from the vaults, just to keep this interesting!

There are many places i go to find fungi, though one place draws me back time after time after time, Whippendell woods has and continues to teach me things i can not learn from books, this wood continuosly shows me new things.:thumbup1:

this fungus, for which i have my suspicions but nothing concrete as yet has been puzzling me for a while now. i am certain it is an inonotus of some kind, but i am holding out the type till i can be 100% certain.

Each year this bracket adds another thin white layer or pore surface, so it is pernninial, as can be sen, it exudes a resinous substance. The pore surface is angled steeply almost verticaly aligned, and the bracket is hard.

if you think you have a clue what this may be, please feel free to say something, the hama is all ears!:thumbup:

P1060441.jpg.66a09346dfe6517363cb9452fea7d782.jpg

P1060437.jpg.b6f66dd4fc19b99e70da021471c9da4d.jpg

P1060440.jpg.282154b7cb7621ecb7496d04f9957400.jpg

P1060439.jpg.2db8e3d090508138210f7dcc408b8ed4.jpg

this fungus, for which i have my suspicions but nothing concrete as yet has been puzzling me for a while now. i am certain it is an inonotus of some kind, but i am holding out the type till i can be 100% certain.

Each year this bracket adds another thin white layer or pore surface, so it is pernninial, as can be sen, it exudes a resinous substance. The pore surface is angled steeply almost verticaly aligned, and the bracket is hard.

if you think you have a clue what this may be, please feel free to say something, the hama is all ears!:thumbup:

Inonotus nodulosus; perhaps?

Any idea on the spore colour?

Are there any perennial Inonotus? Have you discounted some kind of Phellinus? That would be my wild guess judging by it's location and flattish profile...

Saying that, is there something going on with the buttress roots below the bracket?

I havent ruled out anything as yet, and Phellinus would fit i suppose in many ways. i do have a problem with the exudates however, as Phellinus dont do this as far as I am aware, this is typical of inonotus however.

I reckon obliquos to Monkey, but this is a first for me if so and being cagey about it!:thumbup:

wait till you see todays entry!:thumbup:

As if by magic, and just for Mr Bundle! So starting to believe me now?:001_rolleyes:

Phellinus robustus- an intense white rotter, here on laburnum possibly a new substrate? cant find a u.k record on the Laburnum.

then at the bottom, a re shoot of the geotropic Gano, had to get a better shot! lol and will go back to catch it when the The yellow flat-footed fly (Agathomyia wankowiczii) has also been to visit this bad boy!:thumbup1:

P1020278.jpg.16d90c8e498b175f06664c216f027506.jpg

P1020264.jpg.801a4b0392d871a6c1fb6c2904c6d0a5.jpg

P1020250.jpg.7a6c0708b2b5d7b829d59905bae4fc6e.jpg

P1020240.jpg.aab14660e10c86792bb533304b046d28.jpg

P1020391.jpg.a9d667c8725148596c2daa4fbf1dafee.jpg

I'd been thinking about the exudate, but I think it's likely that some species not noted for producing exudate produce it occupationally, in response to certain conditions.

I've seen it on Ganoderma resinaceum, but I haven't read about them producing exudate. (I went on to misidentify it as an immature Inonotus, because it had the right appearance and had amber exudate).

Your brackets might be producing exudate now, in response to the sap rising in the tree, either to actively modify the moisture content of the wood, or passively by being tapped into the tree's vessels and the tree is pumping it out. That passive 'idea' is speculation and might not be possible for all I know!

I'd been thinking about the exudate, but I think it's likely that some species not noted for producing exudate produce it occupationally, in response to certain conditions.

I've seen it on Ganoderma resinaceum, but I haven't read about them producing exudate. (I went on to misidentify it as an immature Inonotus, because it had the right appearance and had amber exudate).

Your brackets might be producing exudate now, in response to the sap rising in the tree, either to actively modify the moisture content of the wood, or passively by being tapped into the tree's vessels and the tree is pumping it out. That passive 'idea' is speculation and might not be possible for all I know!

Exudates have some advantages (IMO) hispidus, dripping its spores on its own tree probably helps spread the infection down the necrosis (see image)

597655e24d363_61009061.jpg.7d47b83558aecba0d2daf8f88a0d660f.jpg

I think its more to do with drying the fruit body out for spore production/release than modifying wood (IMO) why would a fungus not produce an infertile bracket if it needed to modify the wood? fungi do just fine without a dripping fruit body for decades.

There are different theories as to why they drip, but as far as I know no proven facts? I find the spore release concept easier to accept than active drying of the wood, but who knows for sure?

The point I was trying to make was that some brackets drip even though they're not noted for doing so and therefore if you're considering Inonotus as a candidate, the fact that your bracket seems to be perennial might be more relevant than the drips.

There are different theories as to why they drip, but as far as I know no proven facts? I find the spore release concept easier to accept than active drying of the wood, but who knows for sure?

The point I was trying to make was that some brackets drip even though they're not noted for doing so and therefore if you're considering Inonotus as a candidate, the fact that your bracket seems to be perennial might be more relevant than the drips.

its a valid point for sure, and will give me some more reference points to go through the books again.

Its easy to get trapped into one line of thought, hence I put it up there, good post.