MS200t crankshaft seal confusion

Darkslider

Replacing the original bakelite seals on my 200t with the updated rubber type, but on removing them I found another flat seal/guard on the crankshaft bearing side that doesn't show in any parts diagrams and I can't find. Attached picture shows old seal on the left, new on the right and the part in question in the middle. 

Best guess is that it's part of the bakelite seal that has become detached but don't want to reassemble without checking first.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20211003_122631_7.jpg

3 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Replacing the original bakelite seals on my 200t with the updated rubber type, but on removing them I found another flat seal/guard on the crankshaft bearing side that doesn't show in any parts diagrams and I can't find. Attached picture shows old seal on the left, new on the right and the part in question in the middle. 

Best guess is that it's part of the bakelite seal that has become detached but don't want to reassemble without checking first.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20211003_122631_7.jpg

@spudulike

• Thanks 1

The bakelite seal has a flexible material part and that is the other part you show.

I use nitrile coated metal seals as they are far easier to fit than the Stihl ones but you have no issues there.

Just make sure the bearing plastic needle retainer is intact before you fit the seal and do the pressure and vac tests on assembly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The bakelite seal has a flexible material part and that is the other part you show.

I use nitrile coated metal seals as they are far easier to fit than the Stihl ones but you have no issues there.

Just make sure the bearing plastic needle retainer is intact before you fit the seal and do the pressure and vac tests on assembly.

I thought that was the case just wanted to double check from someone in the know first! Much obliged, I'll carry on with the rebuild tomorrow in that case. 

Crankshaft and bearings all look and feel good but I've spent a small fortune on bits, replacing all the serviceable items and perishables plus a new genuine carb and pot/piston. Will double check it holds pressure/vacuum once it's all together, should have tested it before taking it apart really but I was too excited to get it to bits 🤣

• Like 3

So I've got this assembled but the crankshaft is noticeably stiffer to rotate with fingers than it was with no seals fitted. I think I might have knocked them in a bit far but I've still got some side to side float in the crank so does that mean I'm good to go or should I get them out and try again?

IMG_20211010_115416_0.jpg

IMG_20211010_115313_4.jpg

8 hours ago, spudulike said:

Sorry, missed this. You are good to go, the rubber is just tighter on the shaft and is gripping it a bit - more noticeable on a small engine but is fine - you have end float so just reassemble it.

Spot on cheers, I'll carry on with the rebuild and hopefully the pressure/vac test reveals no issues!