Full Time Tree Gang Operative wanted in Hull

Mike B1

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Standard council pay scheme.
Doesn’t matter what the job.

The whole single status thing is a myth. Councils went through job evaluation in around about 2008 to make sure that workers get the same pay for similar jobs.  There have been a few planning TO jobs come up near me recently.  Four LPAs within 25miles of each other. Exactly the same job. Lowest paid was 28k. Highest was 36k. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Senior management as well?

Senior management make a decent living but it doesn’t match the top jobs in the private sector. But then public sector pensions tend to be better. You get flexible working and 30 days holiday plus bank holidays.  It’s not the holiday camp people think it is though. Heads of service are in early and work late.  

It’s good for training and experience to spend time in the public sector as well.  For example. I work as a tree consultant and do a lot of work on development sites. My time working as a planning TO gives me a decent understanding of how things work in an LPA. Plus, they funded my qualifications. I would have struggled to do it myself in the private sector.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Yes councils can be good place for contributing towards your training but these are looking for someone that’s trained and the rate they’re paying is only just over minimum pay as far as I can calculate it🤔. But I might be wrong of course🤓

Depends on your age too - but it still comes in a bit over minimum wage.  Minimum wage is seriously low...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris at eden said:

Senior management make a decent living but it doesn’t match the top jobs in the private sector. But then public sector pensions tend to be better. You get flexible working and 30 days holiday plus bank holidays.  It’s not the holiday camp people think it is though. Heads of service are in early and work late.  

It’s good for training and experience to spend time in the public sector as well.  For example. I work as a tree consultant and do a lot of work on development sites. My time working as a planning TO gives me a decent understanding of how things work in an LPA. Plus, they funded my qualifications. I would have struggled to do it myself in the private sector.  

Good point re training.  Public sector as whole gives great training opportunities that we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.  I had two Masters degrees and a PGCE out of my previous life before a career change brought me to arb.  No way would I have been able to afford that as a mature student.

I'm not saying that should be an excuse for paying people poorly for the job they do, but there are fringe benefits that ought to be taken into account above the pay packet itself.

14 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Yes councils can be good place for contributing towards your training but these are looking for someone that’s trained and the rate they’re paying is only just over minimum pay as far as I can calculate it🤔. But I might be wrong of course🤓

They are looking for someone that is trained as a tree surgeon but if you go in and get your head down you may get the opportunity to do higher qualifications and progress to TO.  That is what I meant.  Not all councils invest though so it’s a risk. 

I moved from the private sector to local authority at the end of 2002 and took a slight pay cut. I did my ISA in 2003 and was promoted to chargehand Arb.  Then did tech cert in 2005 and started working as junior TO the same year. 

I then transferred to a different LA in 2010 as planning TO with a big jump in pay. They then put me through level 6 dip between 2012-2014.  This allowed me to start my own consultancy business while still working for them. 

None of this would have been possible if I had carried on working in the private sector. The pay cut I took was for about 2.5 years but it has allowed me to progress higher up the ladder in the long run.  

This is how I would view career development in an LA setting.  It playing the long game. I wouldn’t just dismiss it as the pay is a bit naf in the short term. 

Cheers 

Chris. 

3 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

They are looking for someone that is trained as a tree surgeon but if you go in and get your head down you may get the opportunity to do higher qualifications and progress to TO.  That is what I meant.  Not all councils invest though so it’s a risk. 

I moved from the private sector to local authority at the end of 2002 and took a slight pay cut. I did my ISA in 2003 and was promoted to chargehand Arb.  Then did tech cert in 2005 and started working as junior TO the same year. 

I then transferred to a different LA in 2010 as planning TO with a big jump in pay. They then put me through level 6 dip between 2012-2014.  This allowed me to start my own consultancy business while still working for them. 

None of this would have been possible if I had carried on working in the private sector. The pay cut I took was for about 2.5 years but it has allowed me to progress higher up the ladder in the long run.  

This is how I would view career development in an LA setting.  It playing the long game. I wouldn’t just dismiss it as the pay is a bit naf in the short term. 

Cheers 

Chris. 

P.s.  LA experience is also very desirable if you are going back into the private sector as a manager or consultant.