The Meripilus thread!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was 5 years ago.

it would be interesting to know what Islington would do different if it was today, if anything at all.

It was before my time there, but I know it was a carefully considered decision and an independant report was comissioned to back up the TO's decision. The extent of the root decay was very extensive when the stump was inspected during it's removal.

It was before my time there, but I know it was a carefully considered decision and an independant report was comissioned to back up the TO's decision. The extent of the root decay was very extensive when the stump was inspected during it's removal.

yhats a good bit of info janey ta, Owe you a coffee at burnham!:001_cool:

Dear Tony.

I was not present when this case originally arose, but, the authority

spent a lot of time and money looking to retain the tree. When the tree

was removed the root system was extensively compromised. What do you

consider Islington should have done differently? or what is your view on

Meripilus?

Regards

Philip Wood

Principal Tree Preservation Officer

Dear Philip,

Thanks for replying, I was curious how much investigative work was carried out in the original case, and what would currently be done in the same circumstances.

Current thinking on meripilus is that it is generally saprobic and an essential recycler of the tap root, this can be complicated in the urban context by issues such as compaction and even high levels of urea (dogs) causing stress in the tree allowing the meripilus to colonise the remaining root tissues.

Obviously meripilus is a threat, but it isnt the fungi per-say that is the issue, it is the conditions that the tree is forced to grown in and this is born out in all research either I or others have carried out as it is always those trees on footpaths and in the urban context that suffer the worst effects of this much maligned fungi.

Julian forbes laird believes there to be two forms of meripilus, and ive even suggested a third (all unconfirmed) Many of my associates have carried out airspading on trees colonized by meripilus and it is clear that although the old tap roots have been decayed away there is much re iterative growth and fibrous root mass taking full advantage of the source of nutrients released.

An interesting fungi the merip and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Tony croft

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

They way that Islington is - or at least was - structured means that the Planning TO's have very little interaction with the Greenspace and Leisure TO's. Phil wouldn't have had anything to to with the Barnsebury Beech as he deals with TPO's, 211's, new developments etc. Clear? :lol:

It's not surprising you picked the wrong TO there tho' as there are so many of them to choose from!

Dear Tony

I have seen some of the new thinking, but it is interesting to see

different peoples take on each issue. LBI spent a lot of money on two

independent consults due to its special circumstances. This was on top

of 4 Arb officers two from planning, two from greenspace. It was also

debated by committee I believe.

The tree was located in a very narrow front garden area by a mansion

block of flats so limited rooting environment between the building and

the public footway. There were railings which meant no access for dogs

etc. A lot of time and money was dedicated to saving the tree.

We now have a picus, however, for obvious reasons this would not really

give much light on the issue. The tree was also a very slender specimen

in a location liable to wind tunnelling. I do not think the outcome

would have been different. The rates of catastrophic failure of Beech

in the Urban Environment are something the authority would have to be

mindful of when considering the options for retention. The fibrous root

mass may be present but the structural integrity of root system near the

collar is not.

An interesting one to debate, especially against forseeability of

failure in court if the worst happens.

Regards

Philip Wood

Principal Tree Preservation Officer

They do it here too ( Norwich) email address or phone number for more info...tacked onto the stump. It's all a bit closing the stable door after the horse has bolted....but then, tbh honest and thoroughly cynnical, what do you expect...some kind of debate from the tree dept as to their policy and methodology with every tom dick and harry ? :001_rolleyes:

.....some kind of debate from the tree dept as to their policy and methodology with every tom dick and harry ? :001_rolleyes:

In Islington, that's exactly what they do (or did). I don't know if it's still their policy, but when I was there EVERY tree to be felled as a non emergency was postered prior to it's removal and the relevent Cllrs were notified as to the tree, it's location and the reasons for it's removal. And if there was any debate, then felling was postponed.

Talk about a right pain in the a.... It's a great example of politics taking precedence over good tree management practise and wound me up no end.

Anyway, sorry Ham, back to giant polypores :blushing:

• 1 month later...