The Meripilus thread!

Tony, (or anyone else!) do you have any closer-up pics of what the roots look like on a windblown fagus. I have a clearance of one that has failed due to a root fungus, which i suspect is meripilus, and has ended up clipping the corner if a bungalow. There is another mature fagus about 20 foot from this one, (both trees are on the edge of a wood, thus spreading one-sided,) the one still standing will without doubt land on the bungalow with catastrophic results- the elderly couple sleep in a dormer bedroom in the loft. I am concerned that this may spread to the neighbouring tree, if it hasnt already. I have pics of the fallen trees roots, but they are crap, but from good pics i may be able to tell.

Waffle over.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So my interest in this much maligned fungi continues....

Todays entry comes from a job I looked at today, a beautiful tree in obvious retrenchment (not decline, its vitality is evidently high) and also a strong case of re-iteration going on as the old root stock is becoming increasingly dysfunctional and the scion is reiterating a new set of roots via the decay pockets now forming in the old root stock.

Fagus sylvatica 'aspleniifolia' (the fern leaved beech)

The owner of this tree and I love the tree, and were going to extend the mulch out to the drip line and do a light reduction. The tree is trying to establish a new root base and in the short term is struggling to support its full crown, hence the die back. I do not believe the die back is progressive, just that it is unable to sustain itself while it tries to re ierate its roots over the old stock.

Putting my money where my mouth is, lets see this through:001_cool:

5976580160eea_Asplenifioliummeripilus047.jpg.5f2d0f2e72278661b535bef9f1f62d87.jpg

5976580164833_Asplenifioliummeripilus059.jpg.880cf394a9fbbf7f54b2a7313d9773be.jpg

5976580168514_Asplenifioliummeripilus069.jpg.3b429ac592fad56f4997412ffe919693.jpg

597658016cb34_Asplenifioliummeripilus080.jpg.29b61e0dfb465692533646ae9419c0e6.jpg

5976580170a27_Asplenifioliummeripilus132.jpg.2d16edb3e9d9171c1e294bd40999b52b.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

we're going to monolith it...its in a car park on a wildlife reserve with a footpath on either side of it!. The crown has be showing signs of stress for a year or so.

Edited by arbogrunt
sausage fingers..

• 3 weeks later...

Spied this Merip on a Plane, on one of Londons most affluent Streets today.

Couldn't stop at the time as I had the trailer on the back of the Landy & the armed police guarding one of the embassies opposite, didn't look too friendly as I slowed down to check it out, so I went back later, parked round the crorner, and got a closer look. :001_rolleyes:

Will have a chat with that LA's Tree people, to find out if they are aware.

IMG_7907.jpg.306cfa57e4c3f658b32077059f19e84a.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg.6c56e2381790e91be54edeefa2d847a2.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg.0c97b59d25eaeaf1510e1802216fd481.jpg

Ive seen so much meripilus on "alternative species" this year.

Another tree went down in WW today while I was there!

This is what exponential carbon release is, warmer temps, longer more intense degradation of carbon sources, ive seen Auricularia auriculare judea on plane recently too. many species are now hosting on new ground, and lesser parasites are seemingly more prevalent.

I think our forests are in a lot of trouble.

Tony, 'Todays entry'...which type (if the theory is correct RE: types of merip) are you saying these are within the drip line, am i correct in thinking these would be the more 'flatter' saprophytic merip and therefore feeding off the dead/dysfunctional roots ??

Going on their distance around the root plate?