The Meripilus thread!

David,

1. So do I, but "those who play at bowles (in the provocative way he does), must look out for rubbers".

2. From my perspective, he has too, but that gives him no cause to disqualifying others by telling them "some humans stand still" or are "still in the age of the Victorians" if they don't buy his claims at face value.

And what about rewriting page 40 of Fungi on Trees before the second edition is printed and published ?

All debate is good, it keeps us learning & talking :thumbup1:

I understand that the second 'reprint' is recently out.

(it now has a ringbinder & more durable covers/inner paper)

I don't think it has been altered from the original text.

I will have to get a copy & have a look.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All debate is good, it keeps us learning & talking :thumbup1:

I understand that the second 'reprint' is recently out.

(it now has a ringbinder & more durable covers/inner paper)

I don't think it has been altered from the original text.

I will have to get a copy & have a look.

no change

Slacking Tony !

the old hama would of been up there holding on to a branch with his teeth & taking a close up shot with the camera in his toes :001_rolleyes:

ha ha, your right too, but for a meripilus?

robustus maybe, piptoporus Q maybe, this, job done and adequate!:lol:

third image didnt download will find it later:thumbup1:

Be interesting to hear Gerrits thoughts on it, but I would of thought this may very well be a first record for Meripilus at that height.

You've got to speak to Martin at Kew about it at the very least, and probably worth talking to Brian at the Forestry Research as his thing was/is Meripilus decay at height.

this may very well be a first record for Meripilus at that height. You've got to speak to Martin at Kew about it at the very least, and probably worth talking to Brian at the Forestry Research as his thing was/is Meripilus decay at height.

David & Tony,

For the U.K. it may be, for The Netherlands it is not. I once found M. giganteus panic fruiting on top of a still standing trunk of an old beech, that had been cut at 6 metres height and I have documented (see photo's) the mycelium of M. giganteus growing upwards in the heart wood of the trunk of a copper beech I had felled up to 6-10 metres height and even penetrating the heart wood of major limbs at 10-12 metres height.

---

59765f15448ea_20.Beukkroontakaanzet.jpg.768278e913e482f340c300b5fb0b6904.jpg

59765f154125f_19.Beukstam6meter.jpg.63d1e68301f788b3b94a57bf1862ce94.jpg

Yes, the fruiting is, the presence of the mycelium at greater height may not be that rare though.

Yes, would agree with that Gerrit.

Although exit points for the fungi to fruit is not rare on Beech, as they often shed limbs. So I would think that the oportunity for 'high rise' mycelium of Meripilus to get air & fruit would not be so rare ?

Wonder how often Laetiporus has been 'seen' at height on Beech, when may be it's actualy been Meripilus.