The Meripilus thread!

Great job that

Thanks gibbon:thumbup1:

Was one of those take your time and just plod away, photos dont do the tree justice, must be one of the biggest of its kind around. Unusual branch patterns and loads of natural grafts within the canopy, a fascinating tree, loved it.

The leaves being such a different shape have a different character altogether in the leaf mould and the fungi or rather the mycelium was running wild in this litter layer that had been built up over decades:001_cool:

as you can imagine there was much rolling in the muck by the hama! laying it and playing with it i was!:laugh1:

• 2 months later...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my all time favourite beeches, youll recognise it if you follow my threads.

cleary riddled with meripilus, cleary a long term colonisation, and vitaly important to recognise the reality of whats going on in this case. The roots are perfectly viable, the meripilus has recycled the old woody cores of the root system and new roots have formed on the occlusions.

The tree is an old pollard, probably 500 years old, maybe more, its happy, healthy and got some legs in it yet!:thumbup1:

068.jpg.47c2b049348eca58be2ebc2fa0a83dce.jpg

051.jpg.298367f279e9eead274e5c6c53942036.jpg

047.jpg.49b542ac0f74654c9a8dc4ac5bdf8174.jpg

053.jpg.98c2745421b38e66adfdea0f94466533.jpg

052.jpg.b47a831ecea45b3047a42dca86d850c8.jpg

Wow! Amazing tree. Is that at Burnham or Whippendell?

This one is in Frishden beeches, to the rear of the ashridge estate and SSI. Apparently site for harry potter woodland scenes.:thumbup1:

It was shown to me by Andrew B off here, and I am in debt to him for it is a rather special woodland, with some VERY interesting things going down.

I am planning a foray here in the Autumn, your welcome to join us again, though this time leave the thread start to me!:sneaky2:

This one is in Frishden beeches, to the rear of the ashridge estate and SSI. Apparently site for harry potter woodland scenes.:thumbup1:

It was shown to me by Andrew B off here, and I am in debt to him for it is a rather special woodland, with some VERY interesting things going down.

I am planning a foray here in the Autumn, your welcome to join us again, though this time leave the thread start to me!:sneaky2:

I would love to come down for a foray.. I didnt start any foray threads did i?:confused1:

is it open access Tony ?

Just looked on the OS map. There are a number of footpaths and bridleways intersecting the area. It is also marked as National Trust. Most of their woodlands are usually left as open access l think.:confused1:

Just looked on the OS map. There are a number of footpaths and bridleways intersecting the area. It is also marked as National Trust. Most of their woodlands are usually left as open access l think.:confused1:

Cheers Ben, I'm just being lazy. thanks :thumbup1:

Think I probably needs to get me up there with the Hama :001_rolleyes:

Cheers Ben, I'm just being lazy. thanks :thumbup1:

Think I probably needs to get me up there with the Hama :001_rolleyes:

Yes it looks like it would be a really good day out. Let me know if you head up there. It's not a million miles away from me. It is also marked as being part of Berkhampstead common too. So I think that means the public are allowed access to any part of the area, as long as it's part of the common.:thumbup1:

Yes it looks like it would be a really good day out. Let me know if you head up there. It's not a million miles away from me. It is also marked as being part of Berkhampstead common too. So I think that means the public are allowed access to any part of the area, as long as it's part of the common.:thumbup1:

Will do Ben :thumbup1: