Perreniporia fraxinea, de-mystified?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Two ash trees of immense proportions that I was asked to evaluate and price up for work proposed. Perenniporia is IMO part of the TSSE (Gerrit J Keizer) see http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/29344-mycological-tree-assessment-mta.html#post479890

Perenniporia fraxinea at the base of one of these, showing clearly adaption, and a regressing fruit body indicating considerable lack of resources, also indicated by crown condition which is in uba health and vitality. What this tree appears to be showing with regards to die back is not due to a lack of vigour nor vitality but retrenchment by Inonotus Hispidus at times of drought which have been significant in the last decade, despite the water table in this location being usually good. I. hispidus along with perenniporia fraxinea are two of the main TSSE (tree species specific ecosystem) macrofungi and as such should (IMO) be considered as part of the tree in any assessment and proposed management objectives.

it is the trees Vitality that guides our interpretative reasoning with such decays, it is not "reasonable" to propose expensive diagnostic assessments at this stage, this tree is as healthy and vital as it is biologically possible to be. It is not the Perenniporia that leads me to my proposed reduction of these trees, but the hispidus, which I will cover later in another species thread.

I would like to hear anyone's views on MY views, and especially my view regarding the lack or need for DETAILED assessment of the root fungus P.fraxinea in THIS case.

so to just summarise why I wouldnt get an air spade out to investigate the roots.

1) If the roots where compromised vitality would decrease

2) Adaption is evident, compensatory growth also indicating vitality.

3) Sporocarp is malnourished and in a state of retraction indicating limitations to old tissues normally associated with root crown modifications in late maturity of Fraxinus excelsior and other deciduous trees like oak/inonotus dryadeus.

4) Assement due to other macrofungi (I. hispidus) is leading toward a reduction of 30-40% in old money, pre BS 3998 2010 or 5-6metres in new money, post BS 3998 2010.

59765e236b566_charliehatfield054.jpg.899f884249da6d2187cd1e450583a884.jpg

59765e2370de2_charliehatfield060.jpg.74ff14a7066fd65b0202f75f5d06db3c.jpg

59765e2375068_charliehatfield061.jpg.cc064951c7ba8a49af00bb5d82d4c9e2.jpg

59765e2377f1d_charliehatfield063.jpg.66f3942e9ace2e7cbbfccb4802492057.jpg

59765e237ceb9_charliehatfield068.jpg.03d258ae4a8e98a2d9b7baabcd978812.jpg

Perenniporia fraxinea at the base of one of these, showing clearly adaption, and a regressing fruit body indicating considerable lack of resources, also indicated by crown condition which is in uba health and vitality. What this tree appears to be showing with regards to die back is not due to a lack of vigour nor vitality but retrenchment by Inonotus Hispidus at times of drought which have been significant in the last decade, despite the water table in this location being usually good. I. hispidus along with perenniporia fraxinea are two of the main TSSE (tree species specific ecosystem) macrofungi and as such should (IMO) be considered as part of the tree in any assessment and proposed management objectives.

it is the trees Vitality that guides our interpretative reasoning with such decays, it is not "reasonable" to propose expensive diagnostic assessments at this stage, this tree is as healthy and vital as it is biologically possible to be. It is not the Perenniporia that leads me to my proposed reduction of these trees, but the hispidus, which I will cover later in another species thread. I would like to hear anyone's views on MY views, and especially my view regarding the lack or need for DETAILED assessment of the root fungus P.fraxinea in THIS case.

so to just summarise why I wouldnt get an air spade out to investigate the roots.

1) If the roots where compromised vitality would decrease

2) Adaption is evident, compensatory growth also indicating vitality.

3) Sporocarp is malnourished and in a state of retraction indicating limitations to old tissues normally associated with root crown modifications in late maturity of Fraxinus excelsior and other deciduous trees like oak/inonotus dryadeus.

Tony,

To be sure about the extent of dead wood decomposed inside the tree at and/or below ground level and the risk of windthrow, I would either use a Picus tomograph or a resistograph to assess the remaining quality and strength of the central wood of the trunk compared to the intact outer shell.

I have three times seen a healthy, vital and stable looking ash been windthrown after an infection with the mycelium of P. fraxinea with panic fruiting and/or well developed perennial brackets.

Tony,

To be sure about the extent of dead wood decomposed inside the tree at and/or below ground level and the risk of windthrow, I would either use a Picus tomograph or a resistograph to assess the remaining quality and strength of the central wood of the trunk compared to the intact outer shell.

I have three times seen a healthy, vital and stable looking ash been windthrown after an infection with the mycelium of P. fraxinea with panic fruiting and/or well developed perennial brackets.

O.K, then what i shall do as picus/resi is prohibitively expensive is take an increment core to just confirm my thoughts, would this be enough to appease all?

I have downloaded on my phone, which I may be able to email to you, if its of any interest, a paper titled 'effects of excessive drilling on wood decay' by Weber and Mattheck. Interesting little read...

I have that somewhere but if you have a link to add here it would benifit all.:001_cool:

It would for me, although I would prefer a less invasive and damaging, but far more/too expensive :thumbdown: method.

I know it isnt the first choice, but it is the MOST reliable, and I have not yet the financial resources (or paying clients) to justify equipment of the calibre of picus nor resistagraph.

I have already come to realise via personal experience that as far as investigation techniques are concerned they will be seldom opted for over a fell

so for me, given all the pros and cons, Increment cores are a good way to compromise between a client felling to ensure risk reduction and spending hundreds if not thousands to discover what we already knew and will have to confirm (due to insufficient reliability) via an increment core.

Not an ideal world, but we have to work it one way or another, or continue in the regime of fell for security:thumbdown: