Efco 141sp won't idle then floods help please

Marshy255

When you fit the gasket set, take great care in getting the order of the gaskets correct. Also note that there is a spring under the needle arm that needs correct positioning, the arm may need adjusting to the correct height and any dirt or corrosion around the needle will need to be carefully cleared from the aperture the needle fits in to.

L&S are good guys, one of the best suppliers as they hold vast stock, are relatively good value and good customer service.

You have probably looked at an EFCO branded carb kit, most carbs are by Walbro, Zama and Tilllotson and their own carb kits are cheaper than the Efco kit then there are aftermarket kits that are cheaper still. Manufacturers tend to pretty much use the same diaphragms in a complete range of carbs, yours being the Walbro WT range.

Probably less that the other companies are taking you but the original manufacturer marking up their parts to a ridiculous price!

Easy to get caught out but less so if you live and breath the business on a daily basis!

Hope you sort it, I have seen a bit of corrosion on needle valves before!

Well that was far easier than I thought it was going to be, new diaphram and gasket fitted. 

Started first time, a bit boggy but I had been tinkering with the carb high and low when my problems first started.

Little bit more tinkering and now running perfectly

Thank you so much for the advice and guidance everyone

But especially Spudulike who helped me have the confidence to have a go. Very much appreciated and my knowledge of carburettor workings is vastly improved

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marshy255 said:

Well that was far easier than I thought it was going to be, new diaphram and gasket fitted. 

Started first time, a bit boggy but I had been tinkering with the carb high and low when my problems first started.

But especially Spudulike who helped me have the confidence to have a go. Very much appreciated and my knowledge of carburettor workings is vastly improved

Great to hear feed back . 👍

• Like 1

I second that Stubby, nice to know that the trimmers are working OK and thanks to Marshy for having the manners in letting us know - unfortunately not many do and isn't very respectful. All good, well done....normal day in the office for me😉!

Fixed just in time, the growing season will be upon us soon!!

• Like 2

On 29/01/2021 at 23:05, bmp01 said:

Had the exact same symptoms with a Ryobi saw yesterday. 

Wouldn't start, stinking of fuel, spark plug properly soggy. When it did finally splutter into life the exhaust outlet was covered in fuel and 2 stroke oil. Saw would rev reluctantly and was unable to idle with out help. Winding in the low speed screw didn't really help,  neither did trying to raise idle speed. After the inevitable stall it wouldnt restart, flooded.... 

Pulled the carb back a fraction with fuel lines still connected - it was dripping, inlet port was running with fuel.

I do have a MityVac (with pressure option) so it was easy to see when pressurising the fuel inlet line on the carb that the metering valve wasn't sealing. This saw has a fuel purge bulb so theres a fuel line coming out of the metering chamber - as soon as I put any pressure on the inlet line, fuel and air bubbles came out of the purge bulb line.

My point is; I didnt really need the MityVac for this. A short length of hose and a bit of puff would have been sufficient.  Would have been a bit trickier if there was no purge bulb but doable. Its worth removing the cover to the metering chamber and repeating the pressure test - that confirms if the valve will seal with nothing pressing on the metering arm. 

For this saw the diaphragm had gone a bit stiff and taken a set, enough to hold metering valve open. Might have got away with a tweak on the metering arm but that would be a short term fix, new diaphragm req'd.

Anyway HTH, be good if the PITA Ryobi eperience can shed some light on this Efco problem.

I've got the top spec Mityvac pressure/vac pump, found it invaluable for all sorts of problems, just today I had a look at my pickup that's down on power and chucking out black smoke.

Plugged the scantool in and it was very slow building boost at low revs so suspected a boost leak but couldn't see anything and it passed the 'spray everything with carb cleaner' test. Put the Mityvac on the wastegate actuator and with 30 PSI on the wastegate arm on the turbo wasn't budging, but the actuator arm was bending under the pressure so I knew the actuator was doing its thing. 

Liberal dousing with penetrating fluid and taps back and forth with a long bar and it spring open, it had actually stuck in the half open position so most of what the turbo was spinning up was bypassing the engine and going straight out the exhaust. Used the Mityvac to work it in and out for ten minutes and it's like a new truck to drive now! That fix alone was worth the price of the kit I reckon.

Screenshot_20210207-191603.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marshy255 said:

Good outcome. Same symptoms ------> same soln (Ryobi up the page)...