4week traing

18 minutes ago, Khriss said:

( one for Sam,  with the Reg Coates,  extrodinaire in British Columbia   

) K

Well, thanks Khriss, now I want a grapple. How have I never thought of this before?! All this clambering around when I could grapple across like the SAS ?

In all seriousness, where can I get one of those?! 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lux said:

In your circumstances the 10 week course at merrist wood would be a much better option. It’s about 3 grand you will get a balance of theory and practical that I’d imagine will give you a better foot on the ladder that just 4 weeks practical.

That’s great advice Lux Thankyou ? I will contact them today and ask for some information on the course details. The practical is the part I am really looking forward to. I can’t walk past a tree now without trying to identify it ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, thanks Khriss, now I want a grapple. How have I never thought of this before?! All this clambering around when I could grapple across like the SAS ?

In all seriousness, where can I get one of those?! 

Actually Paddy, a good groundswo/men should be rigging yr next tree anyway, wot throw lines are for. Reg notes the lass is a forward planner,  getting ropes in the right places is not just for the climber-  last job i led, was making sure climber had a fresh rope up in crown as he rotated around the tree doing his reductions, so that 2Rope was in effect at all times. Non of which you will get taught on  these mega-money courses. K

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Samantha48 said:

Is that where you trained Paddy x

I have yea! I have my First Aid renewal with them soon too as they have been able to continue training. They're really good trainers. I think they also offer some discount if you book a load of courses with them. They tailor their training almost entirely to how quickly you learn, if you know your stuff then they can up the pace and teach you some more advanced techniques that aren't part of the assessment but are good to know, if you're struggling they slow it down and give you extra time at the end of the day if you need it 1 to 1. Having done the aircraft stuff before I can't tell you how many training days I've been on and they were nearly all slow, droll and like learning off a script. The courses at hi-line were the only ones that I was excited to be on and I can't wait to go back again for my first aid refresher.

I agree Khriss but when I did that chestnut removal a few weekends back, I set up my primary anchors on the main leader and I was working around around the canopy removing it all from over the greenhouse and surrounding property (it was 3/4 surrounded/overhanging) being positively rigged up and over and it would have been so much easier to have a mini grapple to move between each set of leaders as I cleared down. Even a mini grapple on a old bit of rope just to pull myself across a gap. There have been tonnes of scenarios where I was trying to throw my 10M lanyard carab over a branch and trying to swing it back to bridge a 4ft gap instead of going back to the main leader and branch walking back out again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Wow, seems like someone got a bit stung in the industry. Personally I used to be an aircraft engineer, the job was boring, the management was bad. I owned my own company providing contract aircraft repair and the income from tree work (self employed) is double and it's 8 hour days not 12 and I'm not having to piss off all over europe... Depends on what you do in the industry I guess and how well you can run a company. There's people who are 35-45 going into tree work and they can do very well for themselves if they know how to run a company. If you're going to work self employed and earning less than £200 a day you aren't doing something right.... 

Paddy Thankyou for defending the older generation wishing to start a new career in tree surgery ? you may have an onslaught of negative responses sorry. However if it works out for me the great and if it doesn’t then At least I tried. I have to work another 25 years before I can retire and I need a challenge and by the sounds of it it will be just that. Obviously no one my age must be tree surgeons  !!!!! Looks like I have my first spiteful response ? thank goodness for positive forward thinkers like you x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Obvs CS49 unit ( Certain Subtlety fr over 49 yrs)  got overlooked there ?  much of what you say i could agree with. But also, not too encouraging for new starters. Whom are either Shit- will stay shit  / Shit - but can improve adequately /  Shit - but overtake you 10 years down the  road. 

K

I also agree with some of the comments written Kriss but everyone deserves a chance and I am taking it whether people like it or not ? if I can manage the work, and do a good job then surely I deserve my place in the industry. ??

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I have yea! I have my First Aid renewal with them soon too as they have been able to continue training. They're really good trainers. I think they also offer some discount if you book a load of courses with them. They tailor their training almost entirely to how quickly you learn, if you know your stuff then they can up the pace and teach you some more advanced techniques that aren't part of the assessment but are good to know, if you're struggling they slow it down and give you extra time at the end of the day if you need it 1 to 1. Having done the aircraft stuff before I can't tell you how many training days I've been on and they were nearly all slow, droll and like learning off a script. The courses at hi-line were the only ones that I was excited to be on and I can't wait to go back again for my first aid refresher.

I agree Khriss but when I did that chestnut removal a few weekends back, I set up my primary anchors on the main leader and I was working around around the canopy removing it all from over the greenhouse and surrounding property (it was 3/4 surrounded/overhanging) being positively rigged up and over and it would have been so much easier to have a mini grapple to move between each set of leaders as I cleared down. Even a mini grapple on a old bit of rope just to pull myself across a gap. There have been tonnes of scenarios where I was trying to throw my 10M lanyard carab over a branch and trying to swing it back to bridge a 4ft gap instead of going back to the main leader and branch walking back out again. 

Thanks again Paddy ? they sound ideal for my training which I’m really looking forward to. Your a great wee pal ?? I hope you have a lovely day.

@Paddy1000111   things i do fr you kid  ?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Jaws are open due to the gravity when it touches the objects, closed when reversed, an efficient tool to pick up small things out of reach. Not for Climbing Mountain. It can open covers of...

( this obvs not one of my busiest days .......  )  K

• Like 1