Budget Mill

Paddy1000111

Well, the tree was planted by her father in the 70's and I guess they want to do something with it for his sake (he's still around btw). There's enough sentimental value to do something with it, even if it's a coffee table. Sadly it's a pretty boring tree with no real character. If the bark was interesting it would have made a nice river table or something! 

Do you really need a 661? I think next step after a 261 would be 70cc, you could get a Makita 7900 to save money or go for 462 or 572.

These saws will run a 36" lopro, this is exactly the choice I had although I already had a 365 and 461.

You could put a 42” 3/8 on a 261, doesn’t mean it’s a bright idea.
I wouldn’t recommend milling over 20” with 70cc saws.
[emoji106]

I find my 261 pretty capable for most jobs. I don't do forestry work so the only use I would have for the 661 is making a big felling cut a lot easier because having to do "advanced" felling cuts every time the tree is over 16" is getting a little tiring now. Chunking a tree down on spikes isn't too bad with a 261 and isn't really a common job either. I was looking at a 500i but having had a gander at one before I just don't see it's place. It can only handle a 25" bar and you only save 1.2kg which isn't really a massive saving unless you're doing forestry and you're swinging it day in day out. A 661 is more powerful and you can either run a small bar or stick a 42" sugi on it and do lighter cuts or stick a skip chain on it if you need the length.

I only want one new saw at the moment and I feel like If I get a 461 or a 500i then I would have to get an 880 eventually as they don't offer a massive step up from a 261. The 661 seems like the best of both worlds for now, I'm young and fit, I can cope with a little extra weight for now! 

You could put a 42” 3/8 on a 261, doesn’t mean it’s a bright idea.
I wouldn’t recommend milling over 20” with 70cc saws.
[emoji106]
I don't disagree, if you're doing any amount of milling an 881 is the best choice and not that much more money than a 661 really. But he's doing one log, and doesn't want to spend over a grand on a saw right now.

£589inc Vat on a 7900 comes with 18" bar on it will get used loads on tree surgery as well, save ringing up stems with the 261. 80cc, will manage a bit of milling just slower.

1 minute ago, Dan Maynard said:

he's doing one log, and doesn't want to spend over a grand on a saw right now.

It's more of a case of I don't want to spend over 2 grand on two new saws, one middle size one and a big one too ? If I was going to get into milling then I 100% would get an 881! I've had a member on here in my area offer to do it now anyway so it looks to be sorted pending the approval of the person paying. I was originally hoping to get a cheap mill (~£130) and just take the time and use my 261 but it's not going to be practical. I was hoping to get a 24" bar for the 261 and use that as I fancy one anyway so I don't have to bend over when bucking but It won't be long enough obviously! 

By the time I buy a cheap mill, long bar, lo-pro chain etc it's already going to cost more than getting someone else to do it for me and it saves me having to store a massively underpowered mill and equipment that may get used once in a blue moon. Seeing as I want to get a 661 anyway I would rather buy a mill that's sized for it and spend some money on something decent like a panther if I find a nice tree that I could make something nice with as I do enjoy my woodwork.

I think I will get someone to do it for me. If I fancy getting into it in the future then get a panther...

I find my 261 pretty capable for most jobs. I don't do forestry work so the only use I would have for the 661 is making a big felling cut a lot easier because having to do "advanced" felling cuts every time the tree is over 16" is getting a little tiring now. Chunking a tree down on spikes isn't too bad with a 261 and isn't really a common job either. I was looking at a 500i but having had a gander at one before I just don't see it's place. It can only handle a 25" bar and you only save 1.2kg which isn't really a massive saving unless you're doing forestry and you're swinging it day in day out. A 661 is more powerful and you can either run a small bar or stick a 42" sugi on it and do lighter cuts or stick a skip chain on it if you need the length.

I only want one new saw at the moment and I feel like If I get a 461 or a 500i then I would have to get an 880 eventually as they don't offer a massive step up from a 261. The 661 seems like the best of both worlds for now, I'm young and fit, I can cope with a little extra weight for now! 

A 500i will pull a 36” bar nose buried in oak beautifully.

Paddy,

A 261 will not pull a 25” bar, it doesn’t matter what you’ve seen on YouTube.

[emoji106]

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Paddy,

A 261 will not pull a 25” bar, it doesn’t matter what you’ve seen on YouTube.

emoji106.png

I know it won't. I'm not asking it to pull a 25" bar. I just want it to cut up to 12" limbs when limbing a tree on the ground without me having to bend over for hours. Just want the ergonomics, not the size ?