makita chainsaws

jpbeaver

• 1 month later...

Think that the DCS 520 is an older model, but still sold by all the big tool shifters Screwfix etc. Know someone who's owned one for a couple of years and swears it's very well made. The current 50cc model is the DCS 5000 which I have used as there has been one in service since September at Myerscough... so it's been getting all sorts of student abuse and doesn't seem to have missed a beat, seems well put together with plenty of grunt, certainly doesn't feel like any less of a saw than an MS 260.

If you are looking for value alternatives to the usual choice of 2 brands there have also been 2 Echo CS510's in service for the same amount of time, similar saws, slightly lighter than Makita... can be got for good price and have 2 year commercial warranty bought one myself.

Unless I'm mistaken.Makita's are all rebranded Sachs Dolmars. These saws are still very popular in Germany as a pro machine.

Sachs-Dolmar is not the same.

Bare with me I try to explain.

Dolmar did not sell to others exept dealers, but the stores wanted saws from Dolmar and Sachs bought these and sold them as Sachs-Dolmar. They ordered them with specific parts and bearings etc, not the same as Dolmars. They sold them a bit cheeper and needed a bit cheeper cost in saw.

Sachs never had any saws of their own, but used other brands than Dolmar before.

Mikita went about it diffrently. They also had and receved demand for a good line of saws but again, Dolmar did not sell to stores.

So Makita bought Dolmar and now sell Makitas made by Dolmar in selected stores.

Dolmar and Makita is identical exept for colour.

I sold a few 5000's here and they are very nice saws.

The older Dolmars were good too, built to last, but did not act this aggressive. The accelleration and top rpm underload is much higher in the new series.

The 7900 is 1hp/kg....

A real beast to run, I had more than one coustemer who tried and got all white and stated it was much more saw than they needed!

It is intimmedating for those not used to big saws.

had one for about a month great little saw for light reductions thinning etc as long as you dont get too ambitious with it . only thing is its nothing like as bombproof as the ms200.

Its a good saw and a lighter alternative to the stihl top handle...but as he says...dont go gettin any big ideas!:icon14: