Two questions: stuck in changing blades and left roller of Abtrak190 not moving after small repair

Soeren

Hi Jase,

thanks for confirming the damage. Two hopefully better pictures included. The serial number of the chipper attached as well.

Just looked at the parts drawings: If I see it correctly the feedroller's shaft has been really broken into two parts by force? If you recommend to change additional parts for security (wear etc.) like bearings, I'll order them as well. I suppose the feedroller ist the most expensive part for my parts order so any small parts are okay to be orderd as well. Hope I will not need to open and maintain for a longer time now ,-)

Regards,

Soeren

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 11.41.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-05 at 09.20.27(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-05 at 09.20.27.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Soeren, 

Yes the roller shaft has sheared,  a rare failure fortunately.  Regarding the bearings it's up to you , see how they feel if you rotate them by hand but they normally last and we very rarely change them.

The guide bracket , I will check tomorrow but I believe the current version may have two extra bolt holes which would mean bolting back in place and simply drilling two new additional holes through the carriage. 

I would suggest that when you order the parts , simply ask for the relevant nuts and bolts to be added to your order..

Jase. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jase, the spare parts finally arrived at my dealer (wow, just 2 weeks this time ,-)) and I am right now putting everything together. The shaft required some punches to make it through into the final position but seems to be okay. The only thing is, that the rwo rollers seem to be a little too much apart in my opinion (see photo), roughly 15~20mm, but I don't know what "normal" distance is. As I had to exchange the spring anchor as well, which allowed the whole slide roller to move too much to the outside (causing all this muddle...) I am not sure what the distance should look like because this now changed geometry kind of. Due to this new parts also the spring eye bolts are not fiddling perfectly through the return spring, so I need to pull them with quite some force to get the nuts on the bolts. I should add that the springs are also just 50 hours old as they had been exchanged just before I bough the machine.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 14.49.40.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Soeren,  

You need to turn the rollers to find the closest gap , ie,  get two blades together. 

If you're still not happy with the gap , to get them closer you have to remove the moving roller carriage and carefully grind out the slot in the fabrication to allow the moving roller to travel closer to the fixed roller. 

You can safely get them to within 4 to 5 mm of each other.

Jase.

P.S.

Good job getting it all back together  ?

• Like 1

Hi Jase,

more or less solved the issue: The limit stop of the housing, which actually stops the guide mounting plate, had quite a lot of really hardened dust on it, not allowing the plate to travel more to the right (right as on the photo). I noticed after crawling into the feeder chute and looking at the roller chamber - removed the dust which gave me another 6~8 mm. The gap is now below 10 mm which is absolutly okay for me.

I was so happy to have the machine alltogether and running that I worked until dark today, got quite a lot of stuff shredded with all the new nice parts ,-)

One advantage of disassembling is really, that one get a better understanding of the machine. I now agree that the failure of the guide mounting plate was likely the root cause of all problems, But I can only guess what has happened as it looks like the two outer screws have been lost, so the whole plate become bendable

One final thing: When tightening the nuts of the spring eye bolts we required 2 men: One would pull the spring with extreme force so the bolt would come through the spring anchor plate by 2~3 mm, and one would wait for this moment and tighten the nut. Is there a more elegant way to solve this part of the assembly? We used a cord to pull one side of the spring into direction of the nut, not elegant, but works. But I assume in your factory you have a better way to solve this ?

So thanks a lot for your help, very glad to have received your support, Jase! ??

Regards,

Soeren

• Like 2