Reading Borough tree 4 the chop!

Bundle 2

This taken from their document...

"Reading Borough Council has now embarked on a long-term programme of methodical survey and inspection of all trees for which it is responsible. This will provide spatial evidence of the condition and age of the Council’s tree stock. This action is likely to lead to the treatment and/or felling of a significant number of trees that are now reaching the end of their lives and which have become, or which are likely to become, dangerous."

Things must be bad in Reading...What has the Borough Council been doing with their tax payer's dollar...Not managing trees if this is anything to go by.....why else would they be losing so many trees all at once?

So my original question...what system did they use? Its not unheard of for large corporate organisations to land contracts for this sort of thing whilst being only related to Arboriculture by association..ie, they have no idea what they are doing.

Edited by Bundle 2

Proactive managament & Tree Strategy: "They're gonna fell loads of trees... possibly"

No well, I d far rather see a strategy in place than not..

The media is an arse, no doubt...but then we all know that.

"No wonder LPAs don't bother"

Its no reason for a tree manager to throw his hands in the air eh?

Edited by Bundle 2

The only thing I know about RBC is that on an interveiw I attended to become Senior Arb for them, is that the tree officer in the area could not be presant at the interveiw coz of I'm not sure what! but I was inteveiwed by an aray of people, 'apart from the bloke who held the post I was going for 9 yr ago'! who didn't seem to have much of a clue in what trees are & do in the urban enviro, let alone the care about them or know what the job they were interveiwing me for!

I'm not sure of the doc you refer to but I shall look in more deatail as to what is is on about.

I was offered the job incedently but had to turn it down due to....well..must have taken me for a proper mug or something if no one else wanted it too!

Seems like crimes against the dryads;:001_rolleyes:

What dose anyone make of this little ditty? ;)

Edited by Danavan

the general populous of reading are just the sort of folk to sue you for tripping over a conker! I do time there for housing, I wouldnt insure that borough!

What you saying man? The trees so bad as to give ya the willies like....? Insurers are another story altogether...Leaving that can of worms, there is ,(safe to say ) a recent history of "non-intervention" management with respect the tree stock eh?

(Sorry if Im being a bit slow on the uptake....!:001_smile:)

What you saying man? The trees so bad as to give ya the willies like....? Insurers are another story altogether...Leaving that can of worms, there is ,(safe to say ) a recent history of "non-intervention" management with respect the tree stock eh?

(Sorry if Im being a bit slow on the uptake....!:001_smile:)

erm, well in the interests of being PC, lets just say would be better just building a wall around the borough, say 100ft high and leaving it be!

I got to be honest i dont see too much in the way of problems with the tree stock. I live about 15 minutes away so i dont go into the town that much but nothing jumps out at me. Though i do tend to try and avoid looking at all the trees when not at work as i feel like am going crazy, like i cant get away for a minute!

I know with the snow a lot of the older cedars have suffered greatly, but i think that has happened most places.

I know they have quite a few london planes along the main routes but these trees always seem to bloom where all others dont! Damn itcy stinkin trees.