coronet pruning

arnoldbuchsassinger

Got a customer who wants to reduce the height of some old trees in a woodland, discussed loads of options, including fracture pruning etc. Does anyone have a definitive how to make a coronet cut, There is loads of stuff on AIE aboout what it is, its purpose how great it is. But i cant find the process by which you create one, i know in Windsor Great Park the Senior arbo's used a small amount of explosive to get the shattered ends. But this technique is somewhat frowned upon by HSE and not allowed. Just need to know if it is reduce the branches and then fettle the ends till they look shattered.

You may find one or two pictuires of coro's here.....

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/440-coronet-not-coronet-now-question.html

In terms of practical application, I prefer to create a fracture first & then spike off the ends to create a coronetted appearance.

Ofcourse fracturing length is wholey dependant on species, targets, diameter etc......

P7160004.jpg.68106287fb9d73425ba3b5de32e63787.jpg

P6100034.jpg.cae106d7a0e86459cd20191c14326dfa.jpg

As Monkeyd says, it is often better to encourage the branch to fracture then to use the chainsaw to roughen up the cut. On smaller sections its quite easy to get an natural looking tear by slashing it up.

The 1st picture is the result of some thing we have done recently where you can free fall sections by tip tie with a rope then tear it off. I put will bore in about a 1/4 of the diameter of the section on the side you want the tear (front) then cut down wards and towards the back to create a hazard beam type cut. You can the put in a step cut beneath it, get out the way and winch it off. This only really works if you have a nice high anchor so you can tie to another section to cut and get well out the way to winch it off.

If I am dropping a smaller piece or reducing a piece of dead wood I cut horizonally and let it break off. If you angle the horizonal cut so it can't be seen from the ground you just slash up the cut surface afterwards. Does that make sense? I did that with the 2nd picture

11012010162.jpg.9f06182c30dbfd9ac293474700c317d4.jpg

11012010165.jpg.0ecdeeb40f05241eb84b82cf025c0515.jpg