357xp bent crankshaft

wren

Hello all,

Having had two clutch drums shear in quick succession i checked the crankshaft to find that it is bent, not so badly bent that the vibrations are extreme and the seals go but sufficient that over a days use the clutch drum shears from fatigue - the osilation created by the bent shaft is exagerated at the surface where the chainbrake strap grabs the drum hence each time the chain brake is applied force is distributed unevenly and the final result is a sheared clutch drum. Over tightened chain, lack of lubrication etc are not issues - the crank shaft is definately bent.

The reason for the thread is to talk about crankshaft replacement. Anyone done it on a 357xp, anyboby got a spare one? or know a place that is likely to have one - husky dealer price is steep so if anyone has a donner i may be interested.

cheers

Wren

I have one....but I'm on the other side of the world from ya....

You'd also need to find a good shop guy who doesn't charge an arm and a leg...as the entire saw has to be dismantled, which I'm sure you know. It's quite a process to split the case. (I've never done it.)

Actually if the crankshaft is bent often it can be straightened .It's not a job for a novice though .

It could just as easily be a bad bearing giving the impression of a bent crank .Either way the shaft will have to be removed from the saw to find out .

You might find that the bearing has spun on it's race which also can be repaired but again not a job for a novice .

Best of luck but take a word of advice and don't dump more money in repairs than the saw is worth .

Ok thanks for the replys,

Well at the moment i have not opened the crank case so can not tell wether it is bearings or bent crankshaft - bearings would be better. The offset or bend is obvious when a guage is put against the shaft and the engine turned over. Saw is two years old but is only used through winter so not too keen to get a new repacement - our old 262xp has done a good ten years and never misses a beat.

I will have to have a look inside.

Wren