what gear is needed?

MattyF

Hi all fancy a go at this pole climbing....what sort of gear is needed and where from?? how do you train or practice ?I guess sighning up and turning up in my set of geckos(spikes look very different from standard tree climbing ones)i would be laughed off! but since watching jeremy B as a student i have always wanted a proper go!

Any pointers would be great as i have been told i should get a hobby i enjoy and stay out of the pub less this year !

cheers mat

Hi all fancy a go at this pole climbing....what sort of gear is needed and where from?? how do you train or practice ?I guess signing up and turning up in my set of geckos(spikes look very different from standard tree climbing ones)i would be laughed off! but since watching jeremy B as a student i have always wanted a proper go!

Any pointers would be great as i have been told i should get a hobby i enjoy and stay out of the pub less this year !

cheers mat

Hi Mat

all the kit you will need is a pair of pole gaffs a harness with side attachments and a flipline .

If its your first time then the show at Newbuy in Sept is good as you can turn up and the kit will be lent to you for you to have a go. or you can use your own

This is a link about the different types of climbers spikes and what to look for

if you want to get some pole gaffs .

There are Toe spikes for racing but these have to be hand made and cannot be brought over the counter . A racing flipline can be made easily that is completely ridged I made one out of a long bit of rope covered with a plastic plumbing pipe slit down the middle then I covered it with think gaffer tape with a crab at each end to fix into your harness

The gaffa tape is important as it makes the pipe less shiny so it does not slip when it grips the pole on your way up just perfect. Its a non adjustable set up ,your arms make the adjustment on your way up you just pull in closer to the pole as it gets thinner near the top . I will post a picture of mine soon .

Littletree:thumbup:

eBay Guides - Climbers the 2 types of, uses, buying advice, safety.