Daily Rate Advice

GJames

We done both over 5 days and I thought that was plenty of time.

Climbing and getting confident with ropes etc is the most important/strange part.

But had been on saws a while before hand

That long ago now that I done mine but cant doing very much cutting up the tree, think we just had the 1 tree for us all to prune so just nibbling a foot or 2 of each branch so we learned cuts.

But the cuts aren't complicated if ur used to handling a saw and know where ur bar is. Guessing we only used spikes saws the last day.

Which is why I suggested do 30/31 first and get some experience.

Not just with saw but estimating wieght/leans etc when felling, u can get away with murder on the deck when u get it wrong.

Not so much when ur up a tree and limited escape routes if it goes wrong, and quite hard to fix if only mildly wrong

Must admit I don't think those 8 week courses are a good thing, complete novice who's never seen a saw before to having all saw tickets .

Decades ago when I done 1st ticket u had to wait 2 yes afore being allowed to do 32 to get exp.

Went back years later to do a windblow ticket and piggy backed on a 32 course and the standard was truely shocking, boys cutting throu hinges on decent sized trees and not even realising it.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 09:14, GJames said:

Hi, please may I ask forum members for some advice?

I am in Staffordshire and pay my one full time employee £12 per hour. He is groundie and second climber to me. He is reliable, works hard, and good to have on the team. My regular subbie, as groundie and climber gets £120 per day, providing his own climbing but  not lowering kit, and provides his Ford Ranger single cab for moving timber etc. If you can offer something like a decent pickup or trailer and tow vehicle of your own you could make yourself more attractive to smaller domestically based firms like mine, for when they have a large job and need more transport. Good luck.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your replies.

I'm grateful for the time you've spent giving advice and information, it's great to have an idea of costs and returns so I can make some decisions about what to do next and how to get started.

So those that work in ARB, is there much difference in rates between a decent groundy with no 38 and a decent 1 with 38??

I have never really worked in proper ARB ( climbing on railways doesn't really count, which is the only climbing I've done).

Lot off investment in training and gear ( plus lolering every 6 month and replacing every 5 year, esp if this 2 rope bs comes in/enforced)

I'd imagine better of just doing both if u want to go down that route.

So those that work in ARB, is there much difference in rates between a decent groundy with no 38 and a decent 1 with 38??

I have never really worked in proper ARB ( climbing on railways doesn't really count, which is the only climbing I've done).
Lot off investment in training and gear ( plus lolering every 6 month and replacing every 5 year, esp if this 2 rope bs comes in/enforced)

I'd imagine better of just doing both if u want to go down that route.

I didn't see any when I just had 38. I think in domestic arb aerial rescue is undervalued and in many cases a bit theoretical.