New 38 assessment

kipperfeet

Any Assessors out there assessed on the new 38 schedule yet?

I have four to do at the end of the week.

How did you get on with the pole rescue section and did it take much longer than the old schedule to do?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the spiking maytake some time with the limited experience some candidates seem to have on spikes.

I am still a little concerned about nervouse candidates spiking there partner in the face when climbing around them. We used to make all trainees do a spike rescue as part of the course anyway but sometimes it was a bit sketchy!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my knowledge of this matter suggests the rescues 1 + 2 were alwaya done as the easiest two, ie rope long enough to decend on, and rope too short to decend on. as the pole rescue was never assessed and very rarely taught, i did hear on said grapevine this was to be a new part of cs41.

i did my climbing as part of my ND, and went straight for the test without the lantra training part.

my collegues who went on the lantra training par last year were shown a set of spikes but neva actualy used them.

Depends when they were registered bob?

If they were registersd before Jan 1st then it can be either, but if they are registered after Jan 1st then the new schedules are in play.

This applies to all the units, i assessed some 30 31 on the new schedules and there a bit disjointed to be honest, takes a bit of working around the guidance notes but not to difficult to adjust,

Just the 38 that will be interesting. 39 might be a bit tricky in the longrun as you need trees that the stem can be taken down too.

I have good sites for all at the minute but when they run short, it may get tricky doing a few assessments using the same tree.

Still, keeps it interesting!

Never used spikes during training, blimey, thats not very good john.

Edited by kipperfeet

dates were booked a while ago so will see

i sadly have done a fair few where they have either never used spike or had a brief go

and personally am pleased it,s now compulsary

though will be interesting how the trainers fit everything in now

as i think novices that have no exp or knowledge will struggle

like i said, i did my training at college on an ND course, so i just did the test,

ive seen several 38 assessments where the assassor just asks for the easiest senario's, hence sais assessments, iv done pole works at college!

ive been registered wiv nptc to be an assessor for 2 yrs and still waiting my technical verifying!

would it suprise you to kno i actualy passed my cs41 without actualy knowing i was being assessed?

Havent got any new cs38's till the end of the month. Not sure it will take a lot longer but then always depends on candidates. I dont think a lot of them will be that confident on the spikes. I'm sorting out a dummy to be used during the assessment, so if they do slip then only a patch needed not an ambulance!

I agree that the site will be tricky on verticle sections of cs39, as we use a lot of field side trees for crown lifting.

Glad to see that they have removed the section propossed in cs41 of felling the stem.

No major changes throughout though, which is good.

Not so bad in a college scenario for the training but the short courses may struggle to fit it all in a week, especially if the guys and girls are a bit slower on getting to grips with the height side of things!

A nice easy ident test in as well. At least a minimum standard of ident is better than none.

I guess the assessor didn't run throught the questions with you then John, if you passed without knowing?

he did the day after on my cs40!

the assessor was basicaly asked to assess 4 guys on cs40 and 41 in one day (8 assessments)

so the chap turned up the day before and watched me section a sycie, ie 4 branches lowered, top lowered then 4 stem sections lowered, i didnt kno it was him till i got down!

i wondered why he was scrutinizin me knots!!

so the next day he said i just had to do cs40 as he saw i was confident and knowledgable

i do believe that a 5day cs38 course isnt the best. just go back and retest some of your candidates, say 3 weeks later. in my experience they cant remember jack s....

if you need to borrow a dummy, just let me kno, il check me diary......

Edited by john dawson