fancy advanced climbing

josharb87

been looking at masterblasters tree house site, and theres some cool videos and setups on there. before i thought all the jangelly gear was a bit fancy, but have started to understand it does actuall make life easier

at the moment i climb on yale scortch 13mm rope, hitch climber, regular cambium saver and distel lanyard

now i like the idea of having a figure 8 to decend on like this guys srt setup

http://masterblasterhome.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29986&d=1262394839

is that do-able with standard drt? i can see the benifits of quicker decents but without burning out the hitch cord

also i think its time to get a better cambium saver-i know of the art rope guide, is there anything better out there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pic you've posted is just a technic to descend/ascend on a hitch in a single line config and work the tree on a single line. Your not actually using the fig 8, you could just use a big ring its the combo of ring and revolver which buffer the load to the hitch for single line use. There is imo no benefit using this set-up with D'dRT and i doubt it would save your hitch much maybe a little but barely worth it.

thanks marc, so is there a way of saving youre hitch on long decents using drt?

so whys he got it on there? i would have thought if he were to pull his hitch down to decend, the rope going through the fig 8 would help slow down his decent, and keep the load off his hitch, thus saving the hitch?

thanks marc, so is there a way of saving youre hitch on long decents using drt?

so whys he got it on there? i would have thought if he were to pull his hitch down to decend, the rope going through the fig 8 would help slow down his decent, and keep the load off his hitch, thus saving the hitch?

Its a single line he has it on not drt, just not worth the hassle on a drt system imo. I tend to not worry to much its rare you'll get a massive descent, modern hitch cords being tougher etc the reletive cheapness of cord, i just descend and take it easy on long descents.

The revolver technique with a ring would work and its worth trying, always good to try these things.