Buffalo jacket

Lancstree

These have been around for ages and I'm really tempted to get one and try them out. They are made of pertex and filled with pile and keep you warm when wet supposedly. You are supposed to wear them next to the skin thus eliminating the need for layers and they dry out fast but they cost around £100.

Has anyone else used these? The guy in my local outdoor shop uses his for caving but buffalo mainly supply the army now so he can't get them.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a buffalo issued to me by work, its great but definatly not waterproof and whilst warm i still wear a base layer under mine (which is called the belay jacket)

i havent heard of issues with getting them, we use "Hitch n Hike" in the peak district and they normally have a pretty good stock of kit in

I wear a Rab vapour rise smock in really cold weather, its also pertex/pile style top a little lighter though as I find the buffalo tops to hot.

I also have the Rab vapour rise climbing jacket which is warmer than the smock, but to nice to wear at work.

They are not water proof, just water resistant and dry very quickly.

I got them cheaper than my strecth air jacket and they kick the crap out of it and are far better made.

Wish my work would issue them! They aren't supposed to be waterproof though, I think they are akin to wetsuits. They transport moisture away from your body far quicker than anything else can. The description reckons wearing anything underneath can impede the water transport unless it is high wicking too.

The description reckons wearing anything underneath can impede the water transport unless it is high wicking too.

Don't always believe the description/marketing!

Buffalo have been about for donkeys years and make good stuff, i've only ever seen the really thick tops, they are just to warm for me.

The most i've worn to work is a wicking T, light fleece and soft shell jacket, or just a wicking T and my Rab smock. I freeze my arse off to start with but once I get moving i'm just right

You can get Rab smocks and jackets for 60 quid if you shop around.

i only wear a helly hansen lifa+ base layer under it so it wicks moisture away really well, i wore mine in finland last year with just my base layer and a thin lowe alpine fleece under it and that was -38 most the time, i was comfortably warm!

Marc what do you get most wear out of in the tree, the smock or the jacket?

I don't wear the jacket for work, its a little warmer than the smock, and to nice, thats my winter jacket for trips to Wales.

I mainly use the smock, and the Pertex outer is very durable, it has a very deep front zip for cooling down, plus the velcro sleeve open wide enough so you can roll the sleeves upto your elbow.

I'm not saying the Buffalo is not worth it, its just the ones i've tried are to thick for me, and that Rab make similar stuff just a little lighter.

The soft shell jacket I wear is a Stretch Air jacket, the scholler fabric is great, the build qaulity is not, the stitching is appaling, and I don't like the cuffs. Its not a bad jacket, but there are far better out there.

Mammut make a nice scholleor jacket, and the North Face apex shells are really good to. Berghaus also made a nice scholleor jacket. All are cheaper than a Stretch air and better made with stronger seams, better design features and use the same/similar durable fabric.