Slippery wooden bridge- suggestions?

Kat1e

This is the bridge, afraid it's not a very useful pic but gives some idea what it's like.

From the looks of that your bearers are concrete so no problem with the weight, I would be inclined to get a couple inches of gravel on it, try and box it at the both ends to stop it from being carried off all the time.

Edited by cousin jack

Sorry, did'nt focus on the original post. I personally would not use any sort of wire where horses are involved, imagine the worst case scenario where the wire/weldmesh gets hooked under the back of the shoe and the horse panics trying to get it off. The bearers are the, (usually), two long supports that take the bridge from bank to bank, they will be underneath the foot boards that you walk on. If they are steel RSJ's then I would use a large gravel or scalping's. If not up to the weight, then get some half round or "D" rails and cut them just short of the width of the bridge and screw them in every foot, just like the rungs on a ladder. Drainage is an issue, does the bridge hold water after rain or does it run off, if there is a slight fall make sure you run your rails slightly with it, if the bridge is level think about drilling some small holes or scoring as mentioned in a previous post.

Yes wire and horse shoes might not be a good combination, having seen one or two incidents with wire between hoof and shoe. I think they are wooden, unless there are steel rsj's out of sight under the bridge, I will go under and look. The bridge is designed to take loaded lorries so perhaps there is steel under there. The bridge is pretty flat, some water does seem to sit on it as it stays damp after rain for a fair while. With gravel/scalpings Would they not just kick off the bridge pretty quickly? Thanks for your help.

I would be inclined to get a couple inches of gravel on it, try and box it at the both ends to stop it from being carried off all the time.

Thanks that answers question I just asked in previous post!

I notice your website link, do you do any courses on working horses in woodland?

most wood fairly slippy with the amount of rain we had. I noticed this today on the woodland gate.

Your bridge doesn't look like rain water has anywhere to go. Maybe clearing the gaps in between the boards might help?

You're right it doesn't seem to drain well. I think the planks sit pretty flush though I don't think there are any gaps to clear?