So just HOW bad were the redwood Butchered??

mdvaden

The other thread about the redwood logging reminded me of one article I include in my web page sources. Its a newsletter about redwood forest.

First, my own view is that some forest needs protection and some needs management. Everybody gets something and nobody gets everything. Anyhow, I thought you might find this an interesting read:

Troubled Giants - Redwood National Park

It is remarkable how destructive logging was to the habitat and ecosystem. Think about who has to pay to repair this damage. At least its recovering.

Old article, but a very informative one.

Chris Atkins and Michael Taylor shared that the McArthur Creek upslope may have been one of the greatest groves ever. How many of you are familiar with the greatest among redwoods like Atlas Grove that Preston wrote about in The Wild Trees? Or Lost Monarch and Del Norte Titan in the Grove of Titans? Atkins described the upper McArthur alluvial area as many Groves of Titans on Steroids.

Go on Google Earth, and find Redwood National Park by Orick, CA. Pretty sure that McArthur Creek is identified.

If not, here are the coordinates of the upper watershed for McArthur Creek:

41.249842, -124.067451

Anyhow, tilt the terrain and look at the extensive alluvial plain up in the mountain between redwood creek and Hy. 101.

Edited by mdvaden

I often worry about the environmental impact when I watch such programmes as Axeman.
The Axmen area is about 45 minutes to an hour west of me.

In a similar spot, about a half hour west of that, a wind storm passed through about 2 years ago. That's not unusual - the wind. But an area had been clearcut. And the wind raced right through it and knocked down other adjacent trees across the highway like matchsticks, tree after tree. I've still been meaning to get a photo. The erosion from their work does not seem to be as bad a deal, because some of our coast range probably gets half to two thirds the rainfall of the redwoods, and the slopes are not quite as steep. In the end, the species are pretty much the same growing back in. But as far as old habitat, that's another story. I'm not sure if there are plans to allow the forest where the Axemen was filmed to become old growth again.