Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Replace with what? Planes?

why planes?

theres a lot of trees to choose from, if we wanted a pollard culture then planes would tolerate it far better than the Horse chestnuts here.

BUT, we could reduce the need for such a regime altogether, the houses are tiny mid terrace style and certainly the trees are done this way to reduce light complaints.

If these where mine I would phase them out as losses occur and replace with something like fastigiate birch (they exist) sorbus tormenalis for something completely different maybe, would be nice to see these planted more.

I would rather see one tree well chosen and planted with root cells and a porus root cover than a row of poorly chosen poorly prepared ones

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this looks like one of those jobs we would all drive by take a shot of it and post it up here going "woah look at this butchery job!"

I wouldnt blame anyone either for saying so, however it was either this, essentially a pollard or fell it, she has a lot of Laetiporus sulphureus decay at the old heads and lost a large limb this time last year that we cleared.

the white sheets in the old wound are the mycelium felts of Laetiporus sulphureus, the brown rotter, a very typical scenario in old Oaks both pollards and maidens.

I will pop back and get some photos when buds burst and when a years and following years growth is made.

5976639c104f1_Oakpollardchesham20213024.jpg.f7ba36ca8c046a857f31100eb5872875.jpg

5976639c13d22_Oakpollardchesham20213026.jpg.76e7cf15c0d933f8303cd15972bdbdb4.jpg

5976639fa2b66_Oakpollardchesham20213028.jpg.9e7156dd0cf7c6da8ca61f1d0d3d2966.jpg

5976639fa545a_Oakpollardchesham20213033.jpg.56bc1a36b044e4ce00b0cdce4e9a0270.jpg

5976639fa7047_Oakpollardchesham20213044.jpg.fb714dd63897947485d1d76ea0764e64.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

As you say we could look at that and say whoa

Even knowing of laetiporus it looks maybe excessive

But the proof will be in the regrowth, gradual is good, panic not

In any case beats felling

its a pollard out of cycle with some severe structural faults, not just the one you see.

There is good flushing already occurring from the damage caused by the failure and extra light getting into the inner crown so there will be a good response to this