Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

nice Bit of habitat,looks to me a over due lasped pollard split out at a week union with decay from may be? laetiporus sulphureus ,good read tony:thumbup1: it would be great if money was no object and more old trees and pollards could be worked on,or if there was still the economics in using and creating them for there uses:001_smile:

Wow, as a Yank from across the pond (Ohio to to exact), I am glad to see not all in the arboriculture world treat pollarding (a term we rarley, if ever use here...it is all topping to us it seems) as a mortal sin.

I maintain a 42 arce property with 400 trees, and while my training is in horticulture and not arboriculture, I do know that how a plant responds to pruning is much more complex than the "experts" ever admit. Indeed, I never got why we Americans treat pollarding as a death sentence for a tree, when they have been done for centuries in Europe with sucess.

So this thread has taught me alot, thanks.

Don

Wow, as a Yank from across the pond (Ohio to to exact), I am glad to see not all in the arboriculture world treat pollarding (a term we rarley, if ever use here...it is all topping to us it seems) as a mortal sin.

I maintain a 42 arce property with 400 trees, and while my training is in horticulture and not arboriculture, I do know that how a plant responds to pruning is much more complex than the "experts" ever admit. Indeed, I never got why we Americans treat pollarding as a death sentence for a tree, when they have been done for centuries in Europe with sucess.

So this thread has taught me alot, thanks.

Don

Welcome Don!!!I never got it either !! But just look at those tree's Hama has posted !!! I think that makes us extremely lucky to have them here, Are you planning to try and pollard a few of your tree's ?:thumbup:

i think he is talking about "pippy oaks" mainly, after all not all oaks are wiskery.

Cant agree with you there. Cos after mentioning stag headed oaks he goes on to mention beavers leaving sapwood, defo not oak specific, then the wispy thing.

Unless you have other E Green stuff that supports your comment?

(On reading the above it does sound a bit agressive, its not meant to:blushing:)

Cant agree with you there. Cos after mentioning stag headed oaks he goes on to mention beavers leaving sapwood, defo not oak specific, then the wispy thing.

Unless you have other E Green stuff that supports your comment?

(On reading the above it does sound a bit agressive, its not meant to:blushing:)

I wasnt remotely bothered by the tone!:001_smile:

maybe then he means the lamas growth of late summer?

:001_rolleyes:

It appears that our ancestors also recognized ‘wispy’ or ‘whiskery’ trees (epicormic growth) as trees that would be most suitable for regular cutting and therefore more likely to respond positively to cutting. I wonder if our ancestors recognized that the height that the autumn leaves remain is the height to cut when starting a new pollard?

Above is the paragraph referred to if anyone wonders what on earth i'm on about.

Heres a link to the whole document (E E Green Fungi, Trees and Pollards)

Fungi, trees and pollards

Indeed, I am planning on pollarding an ash that has begun to be attacked by the pest Emerald Ash Borer. I have treated the tree with a basal trunk spray of the pesticide Sarfari( in the same same class as Merit with much the same mode of control, in case you have never heard of it), the last two years, but roughly 40 percent of the crown has seen die back before I took over management of the gardens.

The ecpiormic growth is very lush and healthly, so I think it might be worth a chance to see what happens.

Indeed, I am planning on pollarding an ash that has begun to be attacked by the pest Emerald Ash Borer. I have treated the tree with a basal trunk spray of the pesticide Sarfari( in the same same class as Merit with much the same mode of control, in case you have never heard of it), the last two years, but roughly 40 percent of the crown has seen die back before I took over management of the gardens.

The ecpiormic growth is very lush and healthly, so I think it might be worth a chance to see what happens.

ash pollard REALLY well:thumbup1: