Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Does anyone have any pics of Eucs that have been pollarded or even attempts at Euc pollards?

I did one October 2010, its now dead :blushing:

Did not put out a single shoot.

I pretty sure it was the hash winter that did it.

But I will only ever do them in the spring from now on, just so they put on some growth through the summer and the owner will then know its the winter that done it not me :blushing:

P.S. I've done 100's over the years and this the first I've lost.

Did this pollard a week ago, in that crazy last heatwave!

she is the 30 biggest walnut in the uk, county champ too. She has a few problems with mellea, auricularia mesenterica, there was a clear line of healthy growth to bring it down to, mostly this was done because of the decay at the main unions that occured due to a larg limb being removed entirely at this point. That one single cut could be this trees demise, not the pollarding.

59765e87c9458_Walnutpollard002.jpg.0988ec7110358c6e142e0b63a932c828.jpg

59765e87cbd18_Walnutpollard007.jpg.0147dc5183f1ea4e33cecd54fe623334.jpg

59765e87ce8f8_Walnutpollard008.jpg.4b378d18f42a23d0d9ee90f474f336ed.jpg

59765e87d1363_Walnutpollard015.jpg.8a36bd75302d9e81a8e1df82c6754bd0.jpg

59765e87d3c17_Walnutpollard018.jpg.66b77fe50b1661ea22af76855dedfc12.jpg

59765e87d7205_Walnutpollard027.jpg.dfb0b9690d7c731e66946a5b0f77febd.jpg

59765e87d9d1d_Walnutpollard039.jpg.c43db69be55711aabab6b860a36d76ff.jpg

59765e87dd969_Walnutpollard017.jpg.967205bfe0501e694dc2a01d3df937b6.jpg

Were there many walnuts on the tree prior to the work ?

Did Clarks do the last reduction before this one?

Can you try & remember to get a shot next year when it's in full leaf ? :001_smile:

1) No

2) naturally, but it will be a trek from home!

Its going to be mulched by the client too:thumbup1: I wanna see this tree live, even if i have to go all the way over there and sort it in my own time.

there was a clear line of healthy growth to bring it down to,
This "inner crown" line is often seen just beyond large forks. Nice looking work!
mostly this was done because of the decay at the main unions that occured due to a larg limb being removed entirely at this point. That one single cut could be this trees demise, not the pollarding.
We too often see this here too; well-intentioned arbs following poor guidelines for pruning to "collars" instead of heeding the tree's guidance.

This "inner crown" line is often seen just beyond large forks. Nice looking work! We too often see this here too; well-intentioned arbs following poor guidelines for pruning to "collars" instead of heeding the tree's guidance.

yes, and thats one of the reasons why i always say a pollard should be one metre above the unions.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Cant agree with you there. Cos after mentioning stag headed oaks he goes on to mention beavers leaving sapwood, defo not oak specific, then the wispy thing.

Unless you have other E Green stuff that supports your comment?

(On reading the above it does sound a bit agressive, its not meant to:blushing:)

Hamadryad replied...

I wasnt remotely bothered by the tone!

maybe then he means the lamas growth of late summer?

He was actually posing a question to generate discussion, regarding our assumption that pollards are cut at the height they are because of livestock.