Gavin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe you should try a more efficient system for the bigguns?:001_tt2:

I know what you mean though those four small jobs make far more than the one big job, but it never was ALL about the money, not for me anyway, i am glad to be doing the jobs i truly love to do.

otherwise getting out of bed everymorning would seem like drudgery:001_smile:

I just brought a 20" chipper from 2 days work dismantling 2 huge trees over a new house outright.I am all about the $$$ after 20years of doing it"for the love"im here for the $$$:001_smile: with the kit to make it happen Quickly.

You've got to be joking,

I'm 46 next and I still see me climbing into my late 50's or at least another ten years left.

You just find yourself climbing more efficiently rather then gung ho and most of the time it turns out you climb faster

:thumbup1: the best climbers i know are the smart ones in their 40's and still sub contract climbing they are at their peak in terms of experiece and skill.

I've worked with guys who've burnt themselves out in there mid 30's though and retired from full time climbing as well. This job is so varied no two arborists careers are the same all our experiences are different.

:thumbup1: the best climbers i know are the smart ones in their 40's and still sub contract climbing they are at their peak in terms of experiece and skill.

I've worked with guys who've burnt themselves out in there mid 30's though and retired from full time climbing as well. This job is so varied no two arborists careers are the same all our experiences are different.

well said, for me the move was always planned out, i am just fullfilling that which I promised myself long ago. i love my work truly I do, as for experiance and speed....:001_tt2:

I am growing increasingly tire of working for those that feel they know best, making me fell to ground trees that have bees in them when the tree could be pollarded and saved for habitat, felling trees that could be left as monoliths for habitat and felling 300plus year old oaks cos theres a teeny crack in a house.

I am moving on from that and know I can and will save more trees and make a bigger difference via the consulting and academic route.

and more importantely, my health will be preserved, in good order, and everyone that knows me will always say that i was the best climber, they will never say I got old and faded away!

i couldnt handle that!:blushing:

i forgot to add, i am on the verge of losing my home because I am funding my degree and books courses etc, thats dedication, procrastination is what i did for WAY to long, if you want the education, you have to really want it, there are no excuses.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

well said, for me the move was always planned out, i am just fullfilling that which I promised myself long ago. i love my work truly I do, as for experiance and speed....:001_tt2:

I am growing increasingly tire of working for those that feel they know best, making me fell to ground trees that have bees in them when the tree could be pollarded and saved for habitat, felling trees that could be left as monoliths for habitat and felling 300plus year old oaks cos theres a teeny crack in a house.

I am moving on from that and know I can and will save more trees and make a bigger difference via the consulting and academic route.

and more importantely, my health will be preserved, in good order, and everyone that knows me will always say that i was the best climber, they will never say I got old and faded away!

i couldnt handle that!:blushing:

i forgot to add, i am on the verge of losing my home because I am funding my degree and books courses etc, thats dedication, procrastination is what i did for WAY to long, if you want the education, you have to really want it, there are no excuses.

I wish you all the best in the direction your future takes you:thumbup1: recently i've hit a low myself, but thats another story.

Did you work for Dryads?

I wish you all the best in the direction your future takes you:thumbup1: recently i've hit a low myself, but thats another story.

Did you work for Dryads?

The winter blues huh try this

"For a long, long time I wondered how I had come to be an Arboriculturist. In the harsh cold wind of February clutching a branch in the snow and rain 80ft or more above the ground, when I ached from hauling cordwood up a steep embankment and the older I get the more I wonder! Just when the winter has worn you down and your spirit is at its lowest ebb, as if the gods could hear your prayers, the winter cherry comes into bloom. At last a glimmer of hope of spring, its close now, just hang on, it’s nearly here. Then spring comes, nature’s great display, first the Prunus Pissardii flowers before leaf, and the bright green leaves of lime and beech. Each year I work each year it hurts, but when winters pass there is no greater place than the woods in spring, and just as the woods come back to life, thousands of woodsmen are renewed of vigour. It is this connection to the ebb and flow of nature’s rhythm that makes the life of a woodsman, an Arboriculturist, a spiritual one. It is a hard life to be an Arborist and not a path for many, it takes a lot of heart to be a woodsman, but if you ask one he will tell you the same as I, I wouldn’t have another life"

Just try to think of why we do it, it always helps my vigor through winter:biggrin:

and no i never worked for dryads

The winter blues huh try this

"For a long, long time I wondered how I had come to be an Arboriculturist. In the harsh cold wind of February clutching a branch in the snow and rain 80ft or more above the ground, when I ached from hauling cordwood up a steep embankment and the older I get the more I wonder! Just when the winter has worn you down and your spirit is at its lowest ebb, as if the gods could hear your prayers, the winter cherry comes into bloom. At last a glimmer of hope of spring, its close now, just hang on, it’s nearly here. Then spring comes, nature’s great display, first the Prunus Pissardii flowers before leaf, and the bright green leaves of lime and beech. Each year I work each year it hurts, but when winters pass there is no greater place than the woods in spring, and just as the woods come back to life, thousands of woodsmen are renewed of vigour. It is this connection to the ebb and flow of nature’s rhythm that makes the life of a woodsman, an Arboriculturist, a spiritual one. It is a hard life to be an Arborist and not a path for many, it takes a lot of heart to be a woodsman, but if you ask one he will tell you the same as I, I wouldn’t have another life"

Just try to think of why we do it, it always helps my vigor through winter:biggrin:

and no i never worked for dryads

Thanks Hamadryad i enjoyed that, i'm in no doubt the life of a woodsman has changed me and saved me i'm never feel low about my job and never question if i've choosen the right path for me, its more along the lines of your other thread which i've only just read i found it very intresting. I am still but a sapling though i need another decade to mature and grow and i look forward to it.

Thanks Hamadryad i enjoyed that, i'm in no doubt the life of a woodsman has changed me and saved me i'm never feel low about my job and never question if i've choosen the right path for me, its more along the lines of your other thread which i've only just read i found it very intresting. I am still but a sapling though i need another decade to mature and grow and i look forward to it.

What other thread do you refer to? the rayner theory one?