wheres the date on my sequoia harness??

Stephen Blair

yes i would & both rich Almond & Liam stressed that a 10 yr old item may well be perfectly fit for purpouse, in fact in the practical section of the exam they provided us with a very old but fully functional karabiner, any student that failed it failed the exam!

what is PETZLS max replacement date then???? & how is it that u obtain the date that it began being used/exposed to sunlight then?many of my clients purchase replacement equipment long before it is required, i begin marking & inspecting it long before it is in circulation & it is stored in a locker between inspections un-exposed to sunlight, chemicals etc,etc.

i am NOT the ONLY person who knows what he is doing and have never claimed so. I, however, am not the loler inspector who was un-able to obtain an apropriate SWL for a 16mm double esterlon was i bob?????............

Ah! The old "fit for purpose" rears it's ugly head again.:001_tt2:

So you would pass a ten year old karabiner for ppe rather that go out and buy a brand new one for ten quid or so?

Do you think that maybe that particular karabiner had an ambiguous use in your LOLER course? ie, it could be used to both pass candidates but also fail them? If you are then passed as a competent person then you could quite rightly go back and argue that in fact the course provider is talking out of his backside providing you have an valid opposing argument?

Edited by High Scale
added a little to the pot.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OHHHHH AHHHHHHH

round and round and round we go.

for my money the issue is legaslative and best practice, you see basic science most of the polymers etc thet you and my ropes are made from deteriorae from the day they are made, some things slow that doen some speed it up, it is just a mater of existance. then you have phisical things that make big differances, abrasion v cuts. and even top bods get things wrong, my fave from history is the nice guy from ici drinking 245d ......... saying this is safe!!!!!!!

guys stop bikering, in answewr to the issue about why do inspectors have differing opinions, well in part when they were taught...... and in part what Mr Ed...Ar said, misinformation.

a long time ago john harroway, a real gentlman of this industry said to me always go back and cheak from time to time as 'you may start to belive your own propigander'

also just a lack of info, that relates to how things wear.

So Ed Arb is collating info on how things behave when worn, great, even better get it peer eviewed and published,

a mate of mine did a thing with crabs and never got it peer reviewed thus nearly usless but very very interesting.

and as a final thought, inspection should not be about removing dangerouse stuff from use. it is actually about preventing it getting in to use, and age, as a part of that is about forseeability of how an item will perform when you most need it, say in a fall.

ohh yes and really finally i wonder if the guy from petzl is the sam guy who said to me the problem with obsolecence is we just dont know yet how long some things will last, with every day that passes we learn morr from the many items we have in store

at this point the best advise we give to people is based on some very goo science, excellent machinery and a little bit of a guess, but we like to call i and educated estimate......

with regard to the seat belts i think that is liek the tree falling in the woods question..........

what is interesting about it is one of the largest notifying bodies in the UK for seatbelt webbing is also a significant tester for PPE

kev

psd happy new year