something for the sharper arbor!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Not at all Paul, just that comment was a tad on the ridicul--arse!:lol:

To be honest i am trying to work out a way of giving you the essence without the transfigural math, or floral academic language that Alan is prone to use, because he is a high level academic and his work is read by high level academics, men and women of minds well beyond us simple woodsmen!It is a shame because the nature scope co enqiury was so the opposite of this academic tongue, you would be more than welcome to join the next one?

This beast does not exist Hamma, they just like to think it does!!!

As for the ridicularse - Thats much better, I had invited worse I guess:thumbup1:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo, from what i've sat and read through over 11 pages and 104 posts is that, everything is interlinked and inter dependent on each other. nothing is ever created the building blocks are all simply recycled, everything has an equal place and there is no climax community / species?

is that about it?

that's my take on it. evolution is a stumbling mixing pot where the succesful adaptations and mutations survive (apart from the fat, useless and stupid, unless they're human).

Jamie

Well done for reading it all thru Jamie. I've noticed that your posts are always quite considered. You seem to take in what everybodys saying, like a good listener sort of person.

Your post deserves acknowledgement, and I think that your summary is quite a good one. I am not the final arbiter here and maybe Hamma isn't either. Who knows? make of it what you will I guess:thumbup1:

Sooo, from what i've sat and read through over 11 pages and 104 posts is that, everything is interlinked and inter dependent on each other. nothing is ever created the building blocks are all simply recycled, everything has an equal place and there is no climax community / species?

is that about it?

that's my take on it. evolution is a stumbling mixing pot where the succesful adaptations and mutations survive (apart from the fat, useless and stupid, unless they're human).

Jamie

I cant really answer that can i, it would seem youve taken your take and thats that, but I might say that the statement just reiterates the concept in that your mind is closed to another view, your reading it with pre concieved ideas, limited by current thinking within recognised bounderies!:001_huh:

I wouldn't say my mind is closed, but then i would say that:001_tongue:

I never read too much of his works. My general take on it is that everything is one huge self powered system. Energy is channelled from one source to the next and everything in the gaiasystem(:001_rolleyes:, not sure if thats a word or concept) is dependent on the presence of all other systems working. The natural system works because all the gears are there and turning.

My problem is that every question asked produces another vague question. to me a question has to produce a definate answer, even if it's another question. I've got a mate who i'm sure is well into this line of thought and we could spend weeks discussing the specific colour of a leaf.

Jamie

I wouldn't say my mind is closed, but then i would say that:001_tongue:

I never read too much of his works. My general take on it is that everything is one huge self powered system. Energy is channelled from one source to the next and everything in the gaiasystem(:001_rolleyes:, not sure if thats a word or concept) is dependent on the presence of all other systems working. The natural system works because all the gears are there and turning.

My problem is that every question asked produces another vague question. to me a question has to produce a definate answer, even if it's another question. I've got a mate who i'm sure is well into this line of thought and we could spend weeks discussing the specific colour of a leaf.

Jamie

maybe closed was the wrong word, the right word was "receptive"

I've just the passage above and am interested in the idea that 'understanding' can evolve. I can't make my mind up about what is being said because I feel that much more would need to be explained or proposed (as I'm sure is the case).

However, I'm determined that my ignorance will not prevent me keeping an open mind until I know more of the argument.

Thanks for posting, Hamadryad.

I must of missed this one at the start!

We arent just talking about understanding eveolving, but the way we think as a hole, take james lovelock and all the other great minds of mans recent history. these men were different, they looked at thing in a way that was not conventional, the one thing they all had in common was an inate ability to not "accept, limitations or restraints to imagination.

Creativity is fundementaly important in developing new ideas, ironic how "the establishment" often shuns these men till they are hailed by all late in thier lives, as geniuses! you have to ask yourself, when these men have been the greatest thinktanks of all time, does it not beg the question, is traditional methodology training our thoughts or is it stifling our creativity and ability to think unlimited?

I think so, as do many others:thumbup1:

We all centre our world around a working paradigm. It's the way we function, we have a framework of understanding through which we filter the phenomena occuring around us. It's not a bad thing unless we're closed to that paradigm evolving and growing. However to be too open to change without rigorous assessment of new ideas you can get lost in realms of 'nice ideas' that aren't more then superficially accurate.

The scientiffic world, not being an individual has to have an inbuilt resistence to new ideas or it wil be washed away by crap.

I believe/hope/pray we're near a time of a great paradigm shift in the understanding of the scientiffic communmity. A new biology, integrating quantum physics, conciousness & neurology, etc... the old paradigm is straining and laboured

We all centre our world around a working paradigm. It's the way we function, we have a framework of understanding through which we filter the phenomena occuring around us. It's not a bad thing unless we're closed to that paradigm evolving and growing. However to be too open to change without rigorous assessment of new ideas you can get lost in realms of 'nice ideas' that aren't more then superficially accurate.

Ive had two glases of fine wine and a load of squid in batter with salt and chilli, so this threads wayyyyy off my level tonight!

but will answer this in a more sober frame of mind!:lol::thumbup:

Well done bareroots for getting "paradigm" into one post 4 times:001_smile:

Not everyone will know what one of these beasts is:

Pronounced [paradime] - its an accepted way of thinking about something, so ingrained, that no alternative is considered. Like when they thought the world was flat for example.

Wiki will elaborate or differ a bit but thats the gist of it, we'll have paradigms everywhere now:thumbup1:

maybe closed was the wrong word, the right word was "receptive"

Thats an unusal mistake to make. my interpretation of your above post reads.

maybe closed was the wrong word, the right word was "open".

I'm confused:confused1:

Jamie