Woodchip export

Watercourse management

5 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

It may be only wood, but considering some/many don't think soft wood is even fit for firewood!!

Most houses still rely on n awful lot of structural timber, kit houses are still the most common type of new builds in my area

I'm sure if u spoke to joiners they might disagree with u there.

Plenty of sawmills do cutting building grade local timber but the better stuff is imported.

Esp nowadays with the demand for chip/pulp i've seen whole clearfells sites felled purely for chipping no matter wot other produce could off been cut. harvester/forwarder boys love it as only cutting 1 size

And the climate soil and types of tree were planting (along side any thinning etc) will influence the grade of timber.

My part of scotland tends to be fat hairy sitka, not really great quality, u go further north and get nice striaght larchs. scots and lodgepole

Your middle paragraph is where we agree particularly. We're chipping good timber for bullshit renewable schemes and getting the same wood from abroad. Genius.

• Like 2

I would disagree we're buying in the exact same quality as we produce. As i've said not all timber is the same and there colder climate does suit ur better qualilty timber

I don't think we're that far apart either, many  things/normal practices of big business just does not make any common sense

And ur bang on these renewabe neergy schemes are just 1 big con when u look a bit closer at them

But it happens with all industries farming (NZ lamb, beef from africa and SAmercia, milk from god knows where) coulds ay the same with steel cheap imports

I would disagree we're buying in the exact same quality as we produce. As i've said not all timber is the same and there colder climate does suit ur better qualilty timber

I don't think we're that far apart either, many  things/normal practices of big business just does not make any common sense

And ur bang on these renewabe neergy schemes are just 1 big con when u look a bit closer at them

But it happens with all industries farming (NZ lamb, beef from africa and SAmercia, milk from god knows where) coulds ay the same with steel cheap imports

Quality of forest grown wood has been discussed on here very recently. Scandinavian stuff was said to be better but I believe the conversation was about the lower order stuff like first thinnings hardwood and “better” was more about easiness of harvesting for firewood and only very small sawlogs. I couldn’t tell you with any authority whether our bigger trees yield better wood than their Scandinavian counterparts but I suspect it’s good enough for most things, especially if people weren’t so wasteful. I’d be pleased for anyone more knowledge to chime in here. I’m just going on gut feeling inspired by the same gentle nationalism that built a lot of good shit in the past.